RAF Morpeth Wall?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is indeed a strange one. But nature can change things so much in 50+ years. RAF Banff had a forestry plantation over most of it, but that has now been cut down leaving just the tree stumps. In 15 years time, it will probably be overgrown with trees again.:)

RAF Banff had a forestry plantation over most of it, but that has now been cut down leaving just the tree stumps. In 15 years time, it will probably be overgrown with trees again.:)

The wall looks so pristine in your photo too, Bryag. In fact it looks so imposing that it's almost scary! :mrgreen:

One thing I don't quite understand from these ranges comes from the one at Stanton Harcourt. It's in what appears to be a former gravel pit, significantly below the level of the road - indeed so much so that to reach it you have to scramble down a bank and with 50+ years of mature trees surrounding it it has become nearly invisible from the air and from the surrounding land. In the case of Stanton Harcourt I couldn't see an obvious way that they could have got an aircraft down in front of the range, apart from being in a pit it's close to the perimeter and faces away from the airfield. Were they all used to adjust the weapons while fixed to the aircraft?

Flash earth of the Stanton Harcourt range here:
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.734372&lon=-1.40629&z=19.6&r=0&src=ggl
I have a photo of one end of it on my www site but the undergrowth made it difficult to get a proper shot.

If you look slightly north on your link you will see the Devils Quoits. It is on private land but can be viewed by appointment.

wooooo my first post to make more than one page lol, and its "just" a wall :mrgreen:

a very good wall tho, thanx for all the info people, theres a lot of info in all them posts

Back