Raf newton may 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urban phantom

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
:) Hi all ive got another old raf camp for you this one was not as quite as i would of liked but never mind .I did explore with my wife (queenie ) a none menber it was another warm day perfect for a ride out .Here is a bit of history for you.

NEWTON
Newton aerodrome lay just south of the village of that name six miles east of Nottingham between the A46 and A6097. It was an expansion scheme airfield built in 1938 to the usual pattern with four Type C hangars fronting the bombing circle with a fifth hangar tucked in behind that on the eastern side. The technical administrative and barrack buildings were of brick construction with flat roofs, most with central heating. During 1940-41, a total of 24 pan aircraft standings were put down, 18 on the south side of which all but four were connected to three taxiway tracks, and six on the north side where three were linked to a hard track. Later the number of standings was raised to 35. Grass runways were established as 07-25 at 1,230 yards, and 13-31 and O1-19 both at 770 yards.

In June 1940 Newton was one of the stations assigned to No. 1 Group when it gathered its battered Battle squadrons together after their mauling in France. Nos. 103 and 150 Squadrons arrived at the airfield in July and made the occasional night foray over occupied Holland during following weeks until re-equipped with Wellingtons in October. Thus endowed, attacks on German targets were pursued until July 1941 when No. 103 went to Elsham Wolds and No. 150 to Snaith. The move was occasioned by more suitable bomber airfields and the decision to turn Newton over to training activities. At this time Newton was able to accommodate 1,773 males and 304 females. This marked the end of Bomber Command's operational use of the station, a year in which one Battle and 15 Wellingtons had been lost.

For the next five years No. 16 (Polish) Service Flying Training School provided basic and advanced training for the hundreds of Polish airmen serving with the RAF, the unit only being disbanded in October 1946. Although various training activities continued, the station then became the headquarters of No. 12 Group, Fighter Command, In 1958 Technical Training Command took over and several ground schools followed during the `sixties and `seventies. Flying continued by the East Midlands University Air Squadron with Bulldog aircraft and the civilian operated Slingsby Fireflies on behalf of RAF Cranwell. In 1996 part of the camp was sold and the airfield closed in November 2000.

And now some pictures some taken in a hurry due to lots of work men wondering round.

urbex raf newton 119 by urban phantom, on Flickr
ooops!!!!!!

urbex raf newton 022 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 002 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 030 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 033 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 025 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 055 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 069 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 062 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 111 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 099 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 096 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 090 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 081 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 017 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 094 by urban phantom, on Flickr
This didnt look safe to me so we gave it a miss only led into a bunker not worth it

urbex raf newton 039 by urban phantom, on Flickr

urbex raf newton 078 by urban phantom, on Flickr

Thanks for looking all comments welcome urban phanton

Thanks for that it was hard going with work men and security i get the feeling more building are going to get the chop for eco houses i carnt understand it id prefere to live in an old historic building any day

I totaly agrea night crawler i was saddend by the state of some building and verry sad to not see the officers mess

Superb images you got here. In the last image there seems to be some blast doors. Did you manage to see what was behind them?

Thanks mate. The passage led to a bunker ive seen the same set up at upwood we didnt go on because the walter was running from the roof quite bad and it didnt seem worth the risk the bunker was attached to the hospital incase of a air raid i gues

:p ooooooooh you know me UrbanPhantom - i love a good mooch around these type of sites...peely paint does it for me (i dodnt get out much) great pics...nice to see the good old RAF stair railings - must have bought them in bulk as they appear at Driffield too

Great pics :eek:)

You would love this place dobbo its full of stairs in good order and lots of peeling paint its nice to meet others who like the old raf stuff my wife liked this location cos its origanal fetures not many of them left now

It makes me sad when i see a place like this been torn down with out good reason. I would of loved to have seen it in 2000 when it first closed im glad we went its doomed now will soon be gone

Thats fine MD glad people like my pictures i got a photo stream request from some one didnt no if thay were a menber of DP or not

Sorry MD the penny has only just dropped i no now who sent the request im still not up to speed with computers

Latest posts

Back