RAF Upottery (Smeatharpe)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, N. I must admit that has got to have been one of the coolest explores I've been on...just seeing the gun first and the windswept airfield stretching into the distance gave me such a buzz, and then finding one thing after another...a real explore in the truest sense. :mrgreen: It was cold too! ;):lol:

and wet underfoot ! ;)

That's cool, it's more fun braving the elements to get a good result.

That's cool, it's more fun braving the elements to get a good result.

couldn't agree more, sometimes it makes it more of an achievement

BTW Foxy battled through it all (including numerous big gates and fences) like a real trooper

Last edited:
The Bofors is new, it wasn't there last year.

I wondered about that because I hadn't seen anything about it on your reports etc, so we were really surprised to see it. I'd love to find out who owns it and put it there...the airfield itself is slowly being ripped apart by the look of it, so I wouldn't have thought it was the farmer!
A fantastic bonus, though! :mrgreen:
Was the indoor Go-Kart place there when you went?

I wondered about that because I hadn't seen anything about it on your reports etc, so we were really surprised to see it. I'd love to find out who owns it and put it there...the airfield itself is slowly being ripped apart by the look of it, so I wouldn't have thought it was the farmer!
A fantastic bonus, though! :mrgreen:
Was the indoor Go-Kart place there when you went?

Indoor? No, there's been a banger track there for years but I don't remember an indoor track.

The whole site was split and sold in 2006, someone from London purchased the control tower with the intention of preserving it, other bits were purchased by local farmers, I can't remember the exact details. I hope the technical site isn't in danger because there's a lot there.

Are they tearing up the runways? They used to have official mod meet drag races on them until very recently, and they were also used by a model aircraft club.

Dunkeswell and Culmhead are both worth spending some time on too, there's a lot that's well hidden, PM me for details :)

whoever owns it they want to be careful, it wouldn't take much for somone to winch it onto a low loader :(

No that's what I thought.

I think I know where it came from, there aren't too many carriage mounted ones left in circulation now.

Indoor? No, there's been a banger track there for years but I don't remember an indoor track.

There's a building there but it doesn't look as if it's in business anymore. We found some plastic stadium seating dumped near one of the outlying huts.

The whole site was split and sold in 2006, someone from London purchased the control tower with the intention of preserving it, other bits were purchased by local farmers, I can't remember the exact details. I hope the technical site isn't in danger because there's a lot there.

I recall reading about that now you've mentioned it.

Are they tearing up the runways? They used to have official mod meet drag races on them until very recently, and they were also used by a model aircraft club.

Just one area from what we saw...a middle lane of three.

Dunkeswell and Culmhead are both worth spending some time on too, there's a lot that's well hidden, PM me for details :)

Cheers krela, I will. :)

P.S. any chance I could beg some scans of your air ministry maps? ;)

I can't scan them as they're A2 size, but I've got some spare photocopies that I had done and that you can have. I'll send them to you if you'd like to pm me your address. :)

There's a building there but it doesn't look as if it's in business anymore. We found some plastic stadium seating dumped near one of the outlying huts.

Aaaaah okay there was a building there but I just assumed it was for mechanics or something associated to the banger track, we didn't look that closely to be honest.

When I read the title I was sure I'd heard of it - yes, it was from Band of Brothers! :)

I'd love to get to that place!!

I'm loving the horses all over the place. ;)

Lovely things. They were quite small too and a bit shy. They trotted over to see us then all stood with one hoof raised, then trotted off again when we moved towards them. :mrgreen:

When I read the title I was sure I'd heard of it - yes, it was from Band of Brothers! :)

I'd love to get to that place!!

Send a pm if you're ever over this way LutEx, and I'll give you links/direction details, etc. :)

Latest posts

Back