RAF Upottery (Smeatharpe)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for draggin up an old thread, but i used to drag race at Smeatharpe - and never seen any of this. Going to use alot of petrol in the car this weekend i feel :) Best buy another memory card too

Awesome pictures - you may have guessed but im tag searching Devon haha

...i used to drag race at Smeatharpe - and never seen any of this ...you may have guessed but im tag searching Devon haha

Ah, we saw the old drag racing track. :mrgreen:
I thought you might have been searching Devon, for some reason! ;):lol:
TH, if you email me, as I suggested on the Tannery thread, I'll send you some photo-copies of the original airfield maps as well as the other info. You'll be able to see where to go then...saves missing out on stuff.
If you want company, let me know, as I'd love to revisit. We missed out on a fair bit of stuff, despite having the maps! :rolleyes:;)

Very nice shots, and the captions are smooth too. Thanks very much for sharing! As for the AA gun ... shame someone would try to swipe it ... but guess that's the way it is. Hopefully she'll be okay.

Just been out there today (over eager i know) drove all around, got some good shots of the control block, and the barrack (which was full of Pigeons) and a small water tower. I bet ive missed loads :( And it was pouring down so camera got all wet :(

Not a great time, but will deffinatly go again :)

Very nice shots, and the captions are smooth too. Thanks very much for sharing! As for the AA gun ... shame someone would try to swipe it ... but guess that's the way it is. Hopefully she'll be okay.

Thanks for your comments, Moltke. :)
At another WW2 venue yesterday, one of the owners said that they were trying to get the Gun over to their site. In one way it would be good, as it would have more protection there, but it's also a lot nearer the city where they've already had break-ins and damage. So, I think it's probably best to stay where it is! :mrgreen:

Great pics you two, looks like there's lots still to see there, someone i work with, who is a big fan of Band of brothers is staying near there over the bank hols and wants to visit the airfield, so i'll tell him to search out your report, so he knows what to look for :)

Thanks, Kaputnik. :) I have to go back at some point, as there is still a lot more to find.
The three Blackdown Hills airfields (Upottery, Dunkeswell and Culmhead) are all so close to each other that some of the dispersed sites almost overlap, so there's loads to see.
Tell your mate to check out the Upottery memorial. It's situated on the side of the road inside a sentry point, which looks like a narrow brick bus stop! :mrgreen: It's very moving as the local schoolchildren have placed crosses and photos of the men from the 101st division who died in action, and the names of those stationed there. :)

Thanks for the info about the memorial, and the other nearby airfields, Foxy, i'll pass it on. It's good to know that the schoolkids are being taught about what went on back in those dark days, and have been to pay their respects too.

Latest posts

Back