RAF/USAF Alconbury

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great shots, would love to have a proper look round there, only time I have been on the base was just over a year ago, but only got to drive some new Saab turbo's and a couple of HGV's on the runways.;)

Our photos from the day are fairy similar (mine not technically as good however!), so I'll add a couple which I hope extend the coverage and complement what Hal has already posted rather than duplicate things.

Engine testing building
_ILT2732.png

_ILT2731.png

_ILT2743.png

_ILT2735.png

_ILT2733.png

_ILT2737.png

A-10 pilots names (same ops building as the warthog graphic shown by Hal):
_ILT2625.png

Runway threshold lighting:
_ILT2599.png

Tab-Vee door motor:
_ILT2725.png

Tab-Vee air-con control panel
_ILT2722.png

Building 4000, U2 readyness shed. This is a seriously cool door mechanism - think horizontal bi-fold door:
_ILT2681.png

Rear view (taken from the earth banking round the magic mountain)
_ILT2682.png

_ILT2676.png

_ILT2675.png

_ILT2672.png

Not posting my arty vent shots so another view of "Oh Johnnie" ;)
_ILT2716.png

Better stop before I get carried away. Took a lot of photos despite the light being dismal and people often getting in the way!

Oh, one extra....we were there at 11:00 on the 11th of November and observed the two minute silence in front of the original watch office:
_ILT2584.png

Last edited:
I love the two pieces of artwork... maybe its because it adds the human element to the buildings/structures?

A couple more photos from Alconbury from a brief visit today.

Building 73 was one of the training sections. Central corridor with classrooms on each side.
_ILT3275.png

Typical classroom
_ILT3278.png

_ILT3280.png

_ILT3279.png

A bit more artwork
_ILT3274.png

Back