- Sep 20, 2005
- Reaction score
Weston Zoyland airfield was opened in 1926 to be used in conjunction
with the anti-aircraft gunnery range at Doniford. It was really just a
temporary grass stip base used in the summer months, there were no
buildings so visiting units would use tents and set up camp.
Krela and Norman by the contol tower.
In early WW2 the airfield was expanded but continued to be used as
a training base for the ranges at Lilstock and Steart. The base was
home to a number of aircraft used for target tugs for pilot gunnery
16 Squadron arrived in late 1939 with Lysanders. 9/40 Weston Zoyland
became a permanent RAF station and was the main area for Army co-
operation squadrons with Lysanders, Masters, Martinets then Mustangs
A general improvement of the airfield was started in the spring of 1943
including the provision for tarmac runways. With the tarmac runways
built the station could be used by pretty much everything the RAF
had, in 43 (?) WZ was used by RAF Transport Command Warwick
aircraft until 2/44.
Control tower interior.
The United States Army Air Force arrived in 1944 for glider and
parachute training in preparation for D-Day.
6/44 American 442nd Troop Carrier Squadron (303rd, 304th, 305th and
306th) arrive with C-47 transport aircraft (Brits called them Dakotas).
The Americans after their training were posted to Italy for the invasion
of Southern France.
Post War, several fighter squadrons temporarily posted to WZ, station
is on care and maintenance by 1947.
Reopened in 1952-58 for training crews on Meteor fighters, Vampire
fighters and Canberra bombers. The station was retained until 1968
but had no flying units for a number of years.
WW2 Airfields page, lots of pics.
Somerset Historic Environment Record page. Lists everything
there with descriptions, location etc.