Redditch New Town Development Photos

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the dog pub is out just past winyates and matchborough at the bottom of gorcott hill, heading towards wooton wawen etc..
cant say i know of a pub called the pig.. were about was it located

Ah, the dog must be after my time then.
The pig was a nickname given to The Unicorn, slap bang in the centre of town. I think it just had the one bar...a huge room with an old forge recreated at one end, and all the forge implements hanging on the walls.
Perhaps it was demolished! :(
Cheers, mikey. :)

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think it was at the top of Prospect Hill...or one of the roads that lead towards Batchley. It was a long time ago and I don't remember much in the way of names. :lol:

Last edited:
My Aunty lives in Batchly estate and the last time I was up there I was amazed how much the whole area has chaged since I was a kid and used to vist. Photo's have not come up for me yet but I remember going round the town in the early 70's befor the redevlopment. The place canhed considerably nad not for the good either. Last time I was round there it looked like it needed redevloping again.:neutral:

My Aunty lives in Batchly estate and the last time I was up there I was amazed how much the whole area has chaged since I was a kid and used to vist. Photo's have not come up for me yet but I remember going round the town in the early 70's befor the redevlopment. The place canhed considerably nad not for the good either. Last time I was round there it looked like it needed redevloping again.:neutral:

My Aunty lived on Batchley Estate too! We're not related, are we? ;):lol:

I'd hate to go back again, tbh. They should have left things well alone in the first place, imo. It was a lovely little town...real industrial red-brick place with loads of history. Ah well, the mind-set of those in authority never changes, does it! :icon_evil
Cheers, nc. :)

Does anyone know anything about... time travel? I want to go back and have a nose around! Other than the top of Ipsley St looking up towards Mount Pleasant, I don't recognise anything!

Great pictures, by the way!

The Unicorn is gone, so is The Swinging Sporran.

:cry:

Does anyone know anything about... time travel? I want to go back and have a nose around! Other than the top of Ipsley St looking up towards Mount Pleasant, I don't recognise anything!

Great pictures, by the way!

Cheers, markesp. :)

A Brill and amazing post! Love the pics. Bet that was an explore of mammoth proportions at the time.

Good play....Thanks for sharing :mrgreen:

Cheers, Scrub. :) The pics were taken as and when over a period of time...can't recall how long as it was too long ago. :lol: I'm really glad I've got some record of it, but I wish I'd have taken more now.

a bit late i know but family things going on etc etc,,,will be out to get some photos of redditch etc today just to show you what a pigs ear they have made of it

some pics in this album, it should allow you to view...

Cheers for that, Mikey. :) I didn't recognise any of that...lol...apart from the top of Prospect Hill and the water tower at Crabbs Cross. I've got some pics of the water tower and that particular road was new at the time and edged with saplings...lovely mature trees now on your pics, of course. :mrgreen:

yeah,, most of that was the bus station / train station , and coming down from mount pleasant towards the station

ok, so a bit of triva, out of the 100 or more neelde mills that were around from the early 1700's, how many are still standing? I know of the Washford, Forge Mill and the frontage of the old S. Thomas and Sons British Mills is incorporated into flats now. Are there any still standing that are derelict? I've looked for old maps of Redditch, but the scale is so far out I can't decide where they would have been in relation to modern maps.

Back