REPORT – SALISBURY WOODLAND TYPE 22 WW2 PILLBOX BLACKPOOL, LANCASHIRE , FEBRUARY 2021

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganglion

Reaction score
WW2 SALISBURY THUMB 1.jpg

HISTORY

This Pillbox (military bunker) was constructed during the early years of WWII in 1940 and was designated as a lookout to defend the former Stanley Park Municipal Airport which had opened in 1931.

The airport was commandeered in 1939 by the Royal Air Force as a Technical Training School. Wellington Bombers were also assembled there. Hexagonal in shape the Pillbox is built with re-enforced concrete and stone aggregate and was designed for use by the Military or Home Guard riflemen.

Used extensively during the First World War Pillboxes were circular in design, similar to a pillbox containing tablets prescribed by a chemist – hence the name.

It is estimated that less than 6000 of a total of 28000 pillboxes still survive".

THE VISIT

A gloomy overcast day was the perfect setting for this little visit, to a fantastic type 22 pillbox in blackpool, england. Located near the blackpool zoo, and in solid strong condition. A lovely bit of history hidden away between the zoo and the golf course. The pillbox entrance has been cemented over and blends in with the original build which is nice!

It was great to approach the pill box as an invading threat would have done, through the marshland. A great insight on how it would have felt to have gotten close to these mini fortresses, in battle!

Please check out the 5 minute short atmospheric youtube video i have created about the visit here:

Here is a selection of photos from the visit for you to enjoy. there are lots more featured on the video, so please take a look and let me know what you think.

please help my urbex / reports channel on you tube grow by liking, subscribing and commenting on the you tube page. thanks and enjoy!

salisbury pill box 70.jpg

salisbury pill box 1.jpg

salisbury pill box 35.jpg

salisbury pill box 63.jpg

salisbury pill box 12.jpg

salisbury pill box 27.jpg

salisbury pill box 29.jpg

salisbury pill box 3.jpg

salisbury pill box 25.jpg

salisbury pill box 57.jpg

salisbury pill box 30.jpg

salisbury pill box 31.jpg

salisbury pill box 43.jpg

salisbury pill box 93.jpg

salisbury pill box 73.jpg

Attachments

• salisbury pill box 51.jpg
    salisbury pill box 51.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • salisbury pill box 20.jpg
    salisbury pill box 20.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 102
  • salisbury pill box 16.jpg
    salisbury pill box 16.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
Sadly; even these very good images cannot give the present day explorer a real idea of what these places were like in their operational days. Missing are the acres of barbed wire that surrounded the box. I have vague memories of seeing the wire being removed from around the box at Thornwick Bay - even covered in masses of undergrowth, the wire looked very nasty to my then young eyes. Much more so after Dad explained why the wire was there. Funny what one remembers and obviously the grounding for my interests in fortifications and military matters!

Sadly; even these very good images cannot give the present day explorer a real idea of what these places were like in their operational days. Missing are the acres of barbed wire that surrounded the box. I have vague memories of seeing the wire being removed from around the box at Thornwick Bay - even covered in masses of undergrowth, the wire looked very nasty to my then young eyes. Much more so after Dad explained why the wire was there. Funny what one remembers and obviously the grounding for my interests in fortifications and military matters!
From what I read they were never manned as they had a change of plan and stopped building them. Aound here many are just bases unfinished along the Stopline and a fare few look like they were used as target practice. I dare say the ones around airbases were manned and they all look very similar design.

That's really nice, ganglion. I've never seen one with carved letters on before. Was that a later addition as part of the heritage trail do you think?

Who created the figure of the soldier with the rifle? Almost alive. The words are so well carved - even if the script looks a bit Teutonic/German. By a local stone mason?

Latest posts

Back