River Limy Culverts, Rawtenstall, Lancashire - May 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEWY

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score

Had my eye on these for a while.

River Limy at Rawtenstall..
A smaller culvert, a small gap, then onto a bigger one .
Not very big , about 175Metres in Length with the smaller one around 20Metres.

The smaller one (red bricked ) has the old fire station above it, whereas the larger one (stone) has houses and roads above, then finally near the inlet.. a garage/Spar.

not much feature wise apart from a manhole cover, a pipe, a mongy nest with 3 eggs and a rotting chick, a small waterfall and the usual culvert arachnids.

Glad to finally get this done :lol:

The Pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

me3.jpg

me5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

me2.jpg

10.jpg

5.jpg

me1.jpg

8.jpg

me4.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent stuff. :)

I guess this is another one off your "list". I've never seen one as wide as this - it almost seems to go nowhere with all the dark etc. Where the construction changes could well be bridges from long ago.
Could rats have got to the chick? It looks a bit gnawed!

Well done on this one. It looks deep water in places - scary stuff!

Thanks All :)

i still feel alright, so don't think i've caught anything :lol:

think the eggs might be pigeon or some kind of dove. (going of the feathers scattered around)
didn't see any birds hanging around, but i wouldn't sit on them eggs with that thing rotting next to them :mrgreen:
the nest was only inches from the water, it would get swept away if the water level raised...
(which it does quite a lot in this area).

Did find a decent fishing float halfway through wrapped around a branch (now in my tackle box) :lol:

Its a cool shape, I like those ones which are low but wide. And I love the deep water, its always the best when you get underground with deep water. Good stuff man!

Thanks BL :)

got a few local on my list, all are more or less same shape.
i know what you mean.. you feel a million miles from civilisation, although life goes on above your head :lol:
great feeling when you get the waders squashed to your upper legs :mrgreen:

One`s one too many..they make the hairs on my kneck rise,the very site of them mechanically moving them legs.....ghastly creatures.

Latest posts

Back