RN Cordite factory Holton heath- May 09 (picture heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow. I spent years holidaying in Dorset when I was a kid and never saw half of these places. :)

been here today and realised the sheer scales of the place. Thanks for the great report but is there anychance you could tell me where the white tiled rooms are in relation to any of the other things...i found most of the places and even had a look around the woods across the main road and theres loads of knocked down building behind mounds in there too. i will print that map/ground plan you put up and visit again soon

cheers again newage

The big building P17 if you look at the large site plan is is south (going towards the industrial estate) from the control trench.

Cheers Newage

Also on our last visit we found P18 which is just NE of P17, same layout but alot more water in there though.

(sorry about the blured pic but its the only one i had and its great to find the old sign posts still laying around)

DSCF2079.jpg

DSCF2058.jpg

DSCF2076.jpg

DSCF2083.jpg

Last edited:
does anyone know if the estate immediatley south by the train track is accessable?

Wow P18 looks the biz, we missed that one, the site is so over grown it hard to see more than 20 meters at times, will go back soon.

Cheers Newage

I'm glad that someone has gone in there to show us whats there. about half of the site has had the holton heath trading park built upon it, but as the photos show, there is still lots there. the site is quite close to sea level, so i'm surpurised that there isn't more flooding in the underground areas!

Just found some old pittures online:

http://www.corfe-castle.demon.co.uk/hh/

The land was originally owned by the Lees family, who owned the nearby estate. The land was used as a private steeplechase course until it was sold to the Navy. They lived in South Lytchet Manor, and still own the estate including Holton Lee which is next door to the factory. I've just finished writing a book about South Lytchet Manor, which now houses The Lytchett Minster School. (If anyone is interested in having a read the please PM or Email me :) )

Last edited:
Hi :) I was going to PM the OP about this, but I can't seem to find the button... I've never used a BB system like this one before. Perhaps its 'cos I haven't got enough posts to PM yet.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for a great report. I know what I'm doing after my holiday :) I've been to HH before, but thought the main site had been totally overtaken by the trading park; to see that a great deal of it is still there is fantastic.

All I could find when I visited (it's more effort to whizz around the perimeter looking for things when you're on a bike) was a small set of buildings on the left hand side of the road (St. Martin's Hill) going up from the station, just past the line of houses. I can't quite pick it out on the big site plan (which, incidentally is the best thing I've seen all week - how did I not come across it before?! I was going by google earth, which isn't ideal). The grid ref of the little bit I was exploring is SY942906. My pictures from the trip are on my DA - benhudsonesq.deviantart.com. I would post them here, but it's not my thread and some people get annoyed by that sort of thing.

I know I'm not supposed to talk about access, but if you want to expand your exploration to that part of the site (there's a really nice lab - see my pics) and can't find your way in, drop me a line at [email protected]. It's easy, but tricky if you catch my drift.

Further to that, there are a few interesting things on the road back to Poole - a derelict antique shop that I couldn't find a way to even get near too (see http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=4858&highlight=holton+heaththen some really derelict buildings of unknown age and purpose. They're on the right hand side as you carry along
down the road with the warehouse on your left. I haven't uploaded any of those photos 'cos I only tend to bother with the artistic ones, and there isn't really much to look at.

Ben

Back