Rosgill Limekiln July 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crickleymal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Whilst on holiday in the Lake District we stopped at a little campsite in Rosgill near Shap. Just over the wall was this little limekiln. They'd obviously quarried around the kiln, two small rectangular quarries no more than 6 foot deep.

a23129ef.jpg

c9ee6647.jpg

03781aa9.jpg

809068df.jpg

6d636078.jpg

9e2c5455.jpg

I love to see limekilns. Great relics of a bygone age. Do you have a grid reference for the loction of this one?

I love to see limekilns. Great relics of a bygone age. Do you have a grid reference for the loction of this one?

Very approximately NY541169. There are a couple in that area, one directly on the side of the road. And yes that is a sheep skull in the bottom. There were a couple of sheep caracasses on the site rotted down to just the wool. I didn't realise what they were until I saw one in the process of rotting down inthe field behind the campsite. Bizarre, I thought they would have buried them or burnt them or something.

Very approximately NY541169. There are a couple in that area, one directly on the side of the road. And yes that is a sheep skull in the bottom. There were a couple of sheep caracasses on the site rotted down to just the wool. I didn't realise what they were until I saw one in the process of rotting down inthe field behind the campsite. Bizarre, I thought they would have buried them or burnt them or something.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I shall have a look next time I am in the area.

Disposing of dead stock is expensive. Cheaper to let them rot in the fields. :(

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back