Saltersgate Ammunition Depot. July 2008.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Doc for that info, its fascinating! Sausage isnt wrong about my fear either. Although we probably would never have been seen due to the thick forest and remote location it just had the baddest vibe I have ever encountered.

But after finding that bus, I need to find out more.

I wonder why the driver's seat was in that position, it seems a very strange design!

Cheers Doc for that info, its fascinating! Sausage isnt wrong about my fear either. Although we probably would never have been seen due to the thick forest and remote location it just had the baddest vibe I have ever encountered.

But after finding that bus, I need to find out more.

I wonder why the driver's seat was in that position, it seems a very strange design!

I think the seat layout was weird because it was an early design and also you can cram a bigger passenger deck on behind it. :)

That B reg little truck things looks very much like a german utility vehicle. Basically designed to go up very steep German fields, very stable and 4x4. I've seen them in use on the side of Autobahns being used to collect grass cuttings. But for the life of me i cant think who makes them...........

DP

You might be thinking of a Mercedes Uni-mog, They are used by lots of armed forces particularly in scandinavia.

Whilst searching onm Google for info on this site, I was accidentally directed to a dogging website which states that this location is, and I quote, "Exceptional on a sunny day, in the woods or not"

I was very shocked, I diodnt know about these things so if anyone goes to this site be warned you may find all kinds of untoward goings on.

Whilst searching onm Google for info on this site, I was accidentally directed to a dogging website which states that this location is, and I quote, "Exceptional on a sunny day, in the woods or not"

I was very shocked, I diodnt know about these things so if anyone goes to this site be warned you may find all kinds of untoward goings on.

Visions of a dozen North east members just happening to be passing by and looking. :mrgreen:

You might be thinking of a Mercedes Uni-mog, They are used by lots of armed forces particularly in scandinavia.

No 'snot a 'Mog i'm thinking of, the Germans use them as well on the roads in conjunction with the samller trucks.

DP

If I remember correctly, there was actually the remains of a uni-mog lying close to where the little van thing is. When I say remains, it was a few bits of metal.
Dr Black pointed it out and fortunately explained what it was 'cos I had no idea what he was talking about.

...as for the dogging...well, we were wondering why there were quite a few cars parked up there, with the occasional bloke wandering off into the woodland. Being such innocent fella's ourselves we assumed they were fellow explorers or fly-tippers..not dorty porvs. :)

Last edited:
Hi, from what I'm lead to beleive the guy who has the vehicles in the bunkers rents the vehicle out for tv an film work. Some of the cars and the bus on 'heartbeat' are his and are stored on the site when not in use. Last time I was up there there were guard dogs running around the place so be careful. My dad was from Tow Law and always used to refer to this site as the POW camp so who knows...

Hi, from what I'm lead to beleive the guy who has the vehicles in the bunkers rents the vehicle out for tv an film work. Some of the cars and the bus on 'heartbeat' are his and are stored on the site when not in use. Last time I was up there there were guard dogs running around the place so be careful. My dad was from Tow Law and always used to refer to this site as the POW camp so who knows...

Cheers for that jonney. :)

I drove near this place today (I didn't stop to talk to the visitors :mrgreen: ).

When we visited I could definately hear dogs barking. I honestly thought they were in the trees around us!

Yer I know what you mean, I made a hasty retreat back out of there when I heard them :)

Back