Severalls Hospital Film -"The Final days" -teaser

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when will it be ready! :(

but thats an absolutely brilliant find, top marks to you and the nurse!

It's "in the pipeline" ol' boy. The Nurse is a mine of information. Also hoping to transcribe some of the interviews recorded. She had many, many stories to tell.
Ta for your comments :)

Cheers Golds. Yeah, just cleaning the floors must have been like "painting the Forth Bridge"! :neutral:

I remember reading the account of life at Fulbourn, which mentioned the floors were cleaned by the more able women as part of their occupation therapy.

Used to be common practice to get psychiatric patients to do domestic duties during their stay in hospital. When I was a student nurse in the '80s they always had to wash and dry the dishes after meals (all the able patients would be on a rota for this). More stringent laws on food handling and safety has out a stop to this now

This film looks like its going to be superb. As a nurse I'm particularly interested in the asylum threads on the site. Even without the nursing background they are often the most fascinating and poignant threads here. The 'human element' shots of discarded notes and abandoned art therapy work I find particularly moving

Great work!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Interesting to hear about how the more able Patients were involved in certain jobs / tasks. Thanks again -hope to sort the film out sometime this year! :lol:;)

WOW, look how pristine the building was when it was in the process of closing, love those floors. And like the flowers above the door under the archway. Good to see the then and now from the pics in the film and Winchester's pics of the same places.

Excellent work mate, cheers to the nurse who had the foresight to film in in it's last days.

Looking forward to seeing the film now when it's done.

cheers mate, excellent work.

:) Sal

Incredible stuff Lightbuoy, really appreciate your effort in saving these snapshots and sharing them with us.

WOW, look how pristine the building was when it was in the process of closing, love those floors. And like the flowers above the door under the archway. Good to see the then and now from the pics in the film and Winchester's pics of the same places.

Excellent work mate, cheers to the nurse who had the foresight to film in in it's last days.

Looking forward to seeing the film now when it's done.

cheers mate, excellent work.

Thanks Sal :)

Very cool!

Love the film shots compared to the present shots...so atmospheric.

Lightbuoy, in my spare time I write music and would love to compose/score for the film if you need it! :)

R

I have used Severalls on a couple of ocassions to do photoshoots. However, I now understand that some extensive vandalism has taken place and the security has now been enhanced. That's a damn shame.

DSC_0101bwsmPB.jpg

Always on the look out for more venues.

PJ in Suffolk.

What's that one supposed to mean then? I don't entirely agree with using abandoned institutions as backdrops for what appear to be glamour shots. The background is rather gratuitous and disrespectful of the buildings' original use.

What's that one supposed to mean then? I don't entirely agree with using abandoned institutions as backdrops for what appear to be glamour shots. The background is rather gratuitous and disrespectful of the buildings' original use.

why do we explorers go to these places? its jolly good fun, thats why. does that mean we are being disrespectful to the building? i think the photo works fine and is respectful enough, and considering how some explorers behave in the buildings, even if they are not causing damage, this is acceptable. the building has served society and is no longer wanted, and it doesnt belong to anyone except the landowner (who doesnt really count) so explorers cannot just claim it as their own. this is like the graffiti in hellingly that happened recently - the building doesnt belong to the explorer, so it can be used by other people for other purposes.

keep up the good work DA!

Cheers Golds. Yeah, just cleaning the floors must have been like "painting the Forth Bridge"! :neutral:

My other half used to be a domestic at Rauceby and yes it was a never ending task, if on the corridors it took about a week to complete the lot then back to the begining again. fierce protective bunch they were, walk on were they were working and your ears would be burning :eek: Strong as well after contolling a rotary buffer for 40 hours a week, I still don't argue :)

WOW, look how pristine the building was when it was in the process of closing, love those floors.

at Rauceby I remember them buffing the floors upto the last day open, even painted the ward I worked on the year before even though the closure date was set, even the system was institutionalised, the plan said paint so painted it was.:)

. fierce protective bunch they were, walk on were they were working and your ears would be burning :eek:

I knew a hospital domestic who would slap you round the ankles with her mop if you dared to walk on her freshly cleaned floor

Back