Skipton culvert (Spiderman drain)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phill.d

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Skipton culvert (Spider-man drain)

A nice underground explore in Skipton with Ultrix who recce'd this culvert the other week. I think he will put some words and pictures up later. The culvert section we did featured 4 underground sections from boring concrete to brick lined tunnels. One of the tunnels was back breaking low, I was bent over so much I couldn't move my legs, I had to walk sidewards in an almost Space Invader fashion to get anywhere :mrgreen: Ultrix is ultra flexible, climbs about and gets in the smallest places with no effort at all. I've named the culvert the Spiderman drain after him as he found it as well. lol :mrgreen:
1-8.jpg

2-5.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

The sun was shinning straight into the tunnel lighting up the entrance nice and blue.
6-2.jpg

A side passage ran off but the water level was a bit on the deep side at the far end.
5-2.jpg

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

A nice jungle feel to things in the out door section.
Theladyinred.jpg

The dolly bird crossing the bridge never noticed the 2 mad men wading through the stream below.
9-1.jpg

The third underground section.
10-4.jpg

11-4.jpg

Corrugated section.
12-2.jpg

OOPS! No entry. It's a good job we were coming the other way and never saw that then :mrgreen:
13-1.jpg

The last underground section. A new R.C.P had been built parallel to the old tunnel.
14.jpg

It's a bit of a slippery twister inside WHOOSH!!
Depths.jpg

16-1.jpg

17.jpg

This is as far as we went as the next section required waders so there's a whole lot of tunnel in this one still to explore.

Hats off to Ultrix for a good day out.

Last edited:
Fantastic work as usual mate, your lighting is second to none :)

Well done but invite me next time LOL

Fantastic work as usual mate, your lighting is second to none :)

Well done but invite me next time LOL
Thanks mate. I had my camera sensor cleaned for the first time ever. What a difference it was in exposure times. The light was blasting in with a clean sensor :mrgreen:

First of all, I must apologise that my standard of photgraphy isn't up to phill's. I used a digital compact and these were my first underground pictures and I didn't have a tripod.

While Phil concentrated on taking his prictures in the last section, I wandered off downstream to see where it went to.

There was this old-looking inlet;
rimg0410ao8.jpg

which went up this;
rimg0413pm7.jpg

This section came out here;
rimg0414cj4.jpg

and led to the last section, under Morrisons carpark;
rimg0416ff2.jpg

rimg0420el4.jpg

rimg0419ym2.jpg

The final junction with Eller Beck, looking downstream;
rimg0421wr9.jpg

and looking upstream;
rimg0422wf2.jpg

There are further opportunities for exploration, in Eller beck, upstream and downstream, but the water is deep. It was at least 4 feet deep and I was only wearing wellies.

Thanks Bunk3r. It's good to see you get the camera were no other has been before Ultrix :)

Another great one mate. This one seems to have a real varied style to it. And you lighting on that last picture is fantastic:)

great pictures :)

i like the 3rd one down the best great colors in it.

very good pics, like the old brickwork combined with the concrete. Good work.

Some awesome pics there guys,the lighting is really cool. Really like pic 4.

Lol @ the Spiderman drain, im sure you lived up to your name Ultrix ;).

Last edited:
Some awesome pics there guys,the lighting is really cool. Really like pic 4.

Lol @ the Spiderman drain, im sure you lived up to your name Ultrix ;).

I try, and this time I've got scars to prove it

Theladyinred.jpg

lol, quality!! One took photos of us once in a river in Halifax! We waved and posed for her...

good pics btw!

Latest posts

Back