Southrn Water Emegency control bunker - Jan 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maniac

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Seeing the recent post about the Thames water underground bunker reminded me of this one in Gillingham in Kent. It's a lot smaller than the Thames water one, and was built with a simelar purpose in mind.

Southern water built 3 of these in the 1980's - one at Brede in Sussex,one at Twyford in Hampshire and this one at Gillingham in Kent. They were all to be used in the event of a nuclear attack to allow southern water to monitor and control its infratructure, or what remained of it anyway. It was completed, but never fully kitted out or used and was decomissioned fully with the removal of the faraday cage and other equipment sometime in the 90's.

It was origenally an underground reservoir which was re-inforced and turned into the bunker.

I apologise for these photos, this was one of the first sites I visited and photographed in January last year, and I didn't have a very good camera or know how yo use it properly then!

Outside the bunker
photo-033.jpg

Decontamination shower
photo-026.jpg

This would have been a domatory sleeping 9 people in tripple bunk beds. You can see the position of one of these by the 3 lights on the wall, 1 for each bunk.
photo-011.jpg

One of the massive air filters on the ventilation system
photo-014.jpg

Electrical control panel. You could select Mains or generator from this panel.
photo-013.jpg

Corridor that linked all the rooms
photo-003.jpg

There was a tiny kitchen area with 2 huge water tanks in.
photo-008.jpg

Chemical loo
photo-009.jpg

1 way air valves. The Air inside the bunker would be kept at a positive air pressure relative to outside to prevent contamination entering the bunker.
photo-010.jpg

What would have been the main operations room, the only photo I have of it that's any good
photo-024.jpg

Emegency escape shaft
photo-001.jpg

Showing the size of the door locks on the main blast doors.
photo-016.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Maniac.

Edit: can a mod please correct my spelling of Southern in the title!

Last edited:
Nice one there Maniac

Love this one lots..boy have we started something now!

Stu

Blimey, that's some hefty door lock! :mrgreen:
Excellent stuff, Maniac. :)

It's quite interesting to see the slight differences in construction between this one and the thames water one. I always presumed there was one 'template' for designing and building these places, but looking at both sets of photos, it seems they are quite different to each other in a number of subtle but significant ways - the locks on the blast doors are just one example of these, as the ones on this bunker appear much more substantial than the ones on the thames water bunker.

Maniac.

Bunker.

It's quite interesting to see the slight differences in construction between this one and the thames water one. I always presumed there was one 'template' for designing and building these places,.

I seem to remember that some around the country are converted reservoirs?

Wow! I love seeing things like this! Definitely makes you wonder what's lying around out there...

This is ace man. I dream of finding underground reservoirs and waterworks stuff. Fascinating indeed!

Back