Spinney level, Via Gellia, Matlock, Derbyshire, August 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
Spinney level, also known as Anglo-Saxon Mine and Haslowfield Mine, is an old lead mine just south of Via Gellia, Cromford. Mining activity here dates back to the 18th century. Located in Hopton wood, there is the remains of a ruined coe by the road. The level is an old 'coffin' type and includes some unusual stone herring bone roof supports. Now most of the walls and stemples are covered in white stalagmite flow and retains in-situ wooden rails that lead to workings on a vein with fine stone stemples. The adit for most of the year is flooded, due to a collapse acting as a dam, and hence sees very little in the way of visitors.

2. The Explore
Tried this place a while back. It’s not far from the road and so only takes a couple of minutes to get to the adit. The issue is the water level in the mine. When we last went, we were soon up to our wader tops so beat a retreat. With the recent low levels of rainfall, we decided to have a second look while we were in the area recently. This time we got much further in. After the initial wet section, which is now below wader level, it dries out at the coffin section. There’s then a bit of a crawl through into a collapse. After here, however it’s above waist-level and hence our waders so we turned around, at least having got part way in.

3. The Pictures

What appear to be the remains of a former coe:

On to the entrance:

Bit of a stoop to get in:

The water level is down:

To the right is what appears to be a trail section:

On we go:

Until the water recedes:

And were into a coffin section:

We then get to here:

It’s a tight squeeze:

Here’s the wait high section, so time to turn around sadly…

After we’ve had a look at the sparkly bits:

And back out again:

That’s all folks!!

Back