St Andrews Mental Hospital. Thorpe St Andrew Norwich.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:

guys its not the best idea to spend too long in the tunnels that pipe work probably contains asbestos and will not do your health much good just a protip there that may save you from death

What a place! Could lose quite a few hours in here.
Welcome to the site :)

Welcome to the site - it's a great little location with loads of atmosphere.

Big Thanks to nelly1967 for linking my video ;-)

Shame that natural decay is really hitting the old girl now - I've made four visits (last one quite recently) and each time the damp and weather is getting to the old girl.

mo2w

Brings back memories.

Okay folks,enough.The guy has sorted his report out ok.As for grammar etc,not that important either.Glad you got your pics up Ludo...welcome to DP!!!

sTU
Just came across this site by chance, Thorpe st Andrews was my first job when i left school at the age of 15,
That would be around 1960, my parents got me a job as a trainee chef at the hospital and because i lived a way away it was a live in job, I shared a room with another chef in the male side of the hospital and worked in the kitchens of the female side across the road, I think this building is long gone.

Best time to visit

I trained as a psychiatric nurse in Norwich in the 70's, and spent about a year here in 1976; the rest of the training was at Hellesdon. I lived in for a bit, in a room that was virtually derelict then.
I hated Thorpe St Andrews, mainly because I was uprooted against my will when I was happy at Hellesdon.
The pictures of the front entrance look like the north side to me.
I remember meeting two guys from the OT department who would induct students into the history of the place,and showing various artifacts that they had discovered, like a door lock, presumably for an isolation room, that was about 6 inches thick. In the very olden days, the bell in the tower on the south side, was rung if one of the inmates escaped.
If there was one good thing that Margaret Thatcher did, it was starting to close places such as these down.
Hellesdon, by contrast seemed to have much less of a flavour of malice about it, although some pretty awful thing went on there in the past, mercifully before time.
I remember meeting a staff nurse on the sick ward, on the north side, who informed me that he'd met a charge nurse who'd told him that disturbed patients used to be brought in in pig nets; whereupon, said charge nurse would give them a good punch, after which they were apparently, no trouble at all. Yes, the staff nurse was an idiot.
I've been meaning to have a look round Hellesdon hospital for years, but never quite got round to it now I live in London.I believe its still open, albeit on a scaled down operation now.
So, when's the best time to look round here? and are you allowed to?I'd love to go. I have no particular desire to see the cellars, or inside, but I would like to have a look round the outside, and oh yes, this is probably not the best place to post this, for the best response, where is the best place please; no bin suggestions please, or rude dark places. Many thanks to the photographers by the way.

Great info. Hellesdon is still very much open, I don't live too far from it. There is still a secure mental health unit situated right behind St. Andrews House. Quite a thought when exploring, never mind running into security on your exfil, I'm usually more concerned about the unit inmates.

Latest posts

Back