St Botolph's church Skidbrooke Linc's july 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except for the broken window, it seems very well maintained. Whoever owns it or has charge of it must be paying to have some work done on it. Are there no plans for any future use?

Okay, you made me curious about St. Botolph. A peek at wikipedia tells me he started a church in Suffolk in 653 and was "a man of remarkable life & learning, full of the grace of the Holy Spirit." Anglo-Saxon kings venerated him from an early day. Cnut had his remains moved to Bury St. Edmunds, but his head was later put at Ely Cathedral, his body at Thorney Abbey, and miscellaneous bits at other locations. (have to love those reliquaries). Anyway, as many as 71 churches were dedicated to him in Britain, mostly in East Anglia. He is considered a patron saint of sailors and travelers, mostly because 4 churches named for him were located at 4 major gates of the medieval city of London. People about to make a journey prayed at these churches for protection, or they gave thanks there for a journey safely completed.

The collect for St. Botolph's Day is: O God, by whose grace the blessed Abbot Botolph, enkindled with the fire of your love, became a burning and a shining light in your church; grant that we may be inflamed with the same spirit of discipline and love, and ever walk before you as children of the light, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Nice church Pity the Church Conservation trust never took it on, mind you if he is the Patron Saint pikies they probably stripped it and sold every thing.

Nice church Pity the Church Conservation trust never took it on

they have though nc they maintain the grounds and as the local kids and teenages use as a playground/drinking den they keep genaral tabs on the place keeping it tidy ect when myself and kathyms where there we where lucky to bump into some locals from the village who said we where lucky not to bump into any kids.

and thanks for the comments guys glad you all have found an interest in the place as it is a great site even with its ropey past as i said we will be heading back at some point to do some night shots;)

Latest posts

Back