St. Pancras Hotel - London - July 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, amazing to think you have a connection to the designer of that place, as well as Battersea Power Station (GG Scott). So what have you designed, do tell? :)

19 has to be one of the sexiest shots ever of a set of stairs, and designed by your relative. Bonkers. The last time I saw those stairs was when I was squeezing through the masses of scaffold that was there, and touching the coats of arms at the top of the ceiling in pic 18. However renovation was in full effect when we got there, and most stuff was covered in wood and hidden away. Before that I saw them pre-renovation on an open house weekend tour.

I wouldn't say it was ever 'derelict' though, it's always been kept in good nick, just not used and in need of a dusting.

I have designed and built a pine sledge (with steel frame) for my GCSE's in the year 2000.

I got a C for it too:D

Yeah - brilliant photos D_UK. When it was derelict, I often used to just stand staring at it while I was waiting for trains back to the East Midlands. It was as you say, literally a hairs breadth from demolition (and I seem to remember signs going up to that effect at one point in the early 90s) A fantastic building.
GDZ

Major jealousy. I hope you have a great stay.

I have been, and I have returned. All I can say is, wow.

:swoon:

Oh, and it seems that I'm also getting civil partnered some time next year. My goodness me.

:swoon:

yeh remember the refurbishment when we e3where exploring in London last year,looking at the place but where on a tight schedule and not enough time to stop and have a mooch very nice pictures mate they did a grand job of the refurbishment :)

Oooh congratulations RichardH :)

Ta muchly Janey68. The whole operation was deftly planned and executed by the Delight of my Twilight Years, and I'm still a little stunned. *giggles*

Heartily recommend St Pancras Hotel too. Really and truly splendid in every detail. They've managed to create a spectacular modern hotel which complements and accentuates the glories of the building's past. This is how buildings of a bygone era should be re-used. Anyone contemplating the conversion of, for example, a Victorian hospital should be obliged to spend several weeks looking at the Renaissance and discussing the project with its architects, and should have to pass an examination in same, before being allowed to so much as sketch their own plans on a napkin.

I'll stop before I start foaming at the mouth.

I need to go and live there. I could dedicate the rest of my life to taking tea and wandering up and down staircases and passages. I could be the ghost of St Pancras.

Latest posts

Back