Steetley Magnesite, Hartlepool

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missfish

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
If HDR makes your eyes bleed look away now!

Just incase you've been under a rock the last couple of years:

The basic idea of extracting magnesia from the sea originated in California U.S.A where by 1935 a limited output of pharmaceutical quality magnesia was being provided using oyster shells and seawater.

Steetley’s research and development work to extract magnesia from sea water, by reacting it with dolomite instead of oyster shells, commenced in 1936 using a bath tub for a settling tank and a two meter long steel tube as a kiln. In 1937 a full scale plant was built having a nominal capacity of 10 000 tonnes a year. It was becoming apparent that natural magnesite imports, mainly from Austria, were likely to be curtailed with the growing unrest in Europe.

Hartlepool was selected as the site for the factory because of its location close to the high purity dolomite deposits at Coxhoe and the fact that the seawater was of consistent quality and free from dilution by fresh river water. It was also near the Durham coalfield which provided the fuel for the kilns.

Refractory grade magnesia is used in the manufacture of refractory bricks, tiles and gunning materials for application in steel, cement and non-ferrous industries. Chemical grade magnesia is used in the manufacture of rubber, plastics, leather, oil, paper pulp and fertilisers.

mag_small_7.jpg

mag_small_1.jpg

mag_small_2.jpg

mag_small_3.jpg

mag_small_4.jpg

mag_small_5.jpg

mag_small_8.jpg

mag_small_6.jpg

These were taken Jan last year, theres been alot changed since then. Demo has started, pikeys have nearly blow themselves up there by digging through a gas pipe with a JCB, some old person found a very valuable glass bottle.....its all going on at Steetley! For myself its just been a constant location for hassle free (well, I say hassle free, the chavs are often quite annoying especially when wielding an angle grinder...) photography.

car_worked_3_wm.jpg

3105_5_wm.jpg

done_38_rs.jpg

done_20_rs.jpg

1408_002_wm.jpg

Last edited:
cracking photo's missfish. Steetley's does make a good back drop for a photo shoot

That photo with the drainpipe is fantastic! I love steetley and its only a 30min walk from my house. The best bit is that beutiful woman in the last few photos. They make steetly seem a lot nicer! :lol:

I'm pleased you said that Jacko because I was thinking the same thing...

Latest posts

Back