Taunton Stop line – Peasmarsh to Donyatt Halt - May 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...If by the MG posts you mean MV 4 & 4a on Mitchells Hill north east of the Halt then yes if they're still there I'll be posting them for sure....
Yup, they're still there but only 1 is accessable, the other being bricked up and buried under brambles (I have piccies but I'll not steal your thunder mate :) ). The open one has a spectacular view over the plain northwards.
Don't forget the anti-tank poles on the top of the embankment north of the bridge.

I'm loving your trip and photos along this stopline, cheers mate.

Here's a view of that 6 pounder plinth, hopefully someone can confirm whether it is just that or not:
5050817996_01dfe694c6.jpg

Yup, they're still there but only 1 is accessable, the other being bricked up and buried under brambles (I have piccies but I'll not steal your thunder mate :) ). The open one has a spectacular view over the plain northwards.
Don't forget the anti-tank poles on the top of the embankment north of the bridge.

Ah thanks for the info Walrus, always useful to know :) Oh and don't worry about stealing thunder, this may be my thread but it's our forum and all about sharing far as I'm concerned. In fact if Krela hadn't shared some of his info on this line with me my task would be a lot harder. The important thing for me is that these Stoplines get visited, photographed, researched and the condition updated and shared. I suspect the other PB hunters on here feel the same.

Much clearer pic of the holdfast too. I was surrounded by cows and the combination of the electric fence and the overgrowth was just a bit too much. Will get back there in the winter. It does look the same as this one at Knowle St. Giles.

100_1055.jpg

The AT poles at the bridge? Not forgotten ;):mrgreen:

100_1686.jpg

Munchh you need to get to one end first or do what i did go straight to the end then work towards the last place you went to. ;)

The important thing for me is that these Stoplines get visited, photographed, researched and the condition updated and shared. I suspect the other PB hunters on here feel the same.

I'll second that mate :)

The visiting bit can be a problem with some as they can be well overgrown and nigh on impossable to get to, sometimes the only reason you know there is something there is a flash of concrete showing. Two I know of along the Kennet the only reason you know there is one there is the outline and the dent in the ivy where the embrasure is.

...I've looked at Isolated defences around Axminster, Whitford etc but haven't linked them up yet...

LOL! That's been my problem too. I've done as far as Boshill Cross thoroughly, documenting all that I could find after several visits, then a couple the other side of the Axe Bridge, some at Whitford and Axminster. Filling in the gaps is going to be the most difficult and will take some military planning methinks! ;):lol:

Some great remains and quite a stretch that you've done there, Munchh. Those AT Blocks are superb. :)

LOL! That's been my problem too. I've done as far as Boshill Cross thoroughly, documenting all that I could find after several visits, then a couple the other side of the Axe Bridge, some at Whitford and Axminster. Filling in the gaps is going to be the most difficult and will take some military planning methinks! ;):lol:

Some great remains and quite a stretch that you've done there, Munchh. Those AT Blocks are superb. :)

Thanks FL. Your coverage of the Seaton end of the line is part of the reason why I've not properly been there yet, just recce's. Although I do have quite a few photos of bits an bobs from Seaton to Chard Junction as a result. I was half expecting a slap for turning up down your way and not letting you know :lol:

Looking at the map the area from Seaton is on a wide flood plain up to Axminster which could be heavy going and the section from Broom to Chard in a Valley but it looks quite thick with Pillboxes up to Whitford. :)

I was half expecting a slap for turning up down your way and not letting you know :lol:
No probs! JUST DON'T DO IT AGAIN! :p:lol:

Looking at the map the area from Seaton is on a wide flood plain up to Axminster which could be heavy going...
It is, NC. They're mostly across fields, some of which are very marshy, through slurry pits of mud and cow-dung, squeezing through hedges and crawling under barbed wire. There's probably still a clump of my hair fluttering in the breeze on one of the fences just before the 6 pdr! :mrgreen:

Wow !! Yet another top one Munnchy !! Fantastic read from start to finish !! Will serve me well when i eventually get round to a visit !! The rail block is probably the best example i've ever seen !! Thanx for posting. PS Had a trawl around the internet earlier and noticed that the local shit heads have already defaced the waiting shelter at the Halt by scrawling on a swastika !!:mad:

Latest posts

Back