Thames Tideway, London

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riskybex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Thames Tideway is a massive infrastructure project to excavate a deep level interceptor sewer to store and transport waste water across London, much of which currently overflows into the River Thames. The deep level tunnel will run from Acton to Abbey Mills - a distance of around 25 kilometres. The tunnel depth at Acton is about 30 metres, descending to 66 metres at its terminus. The tunnel has a diameter of 7.2 metres. At the Abbey Mills terminus, the waste water will enter the existing Lee Tunnel and will be treated at Beckton Sewage Works.

Construction is taking place using six Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) and a total of 24 construction sites have been established. The giant TBMs were built in Germany and France and after arriving on site by barge were assembled on site. Many of the spoil extraction points are adjacent to the River Thames and barges are also being used to remove the spoil and minimise the impact on London’s roads.

One of the largest construction sites is adjacent to Blackfriars Bridge, near to where the culverted River Fleet flows into the Thames. The map marker pin has been located here, where a drop shaft will take the Fleet flow down to the new sewer.

The project is being managed by Bazalgette Tunnel Limited (BTL), a consortium whose name is a refrence back to the original creator of London’s sewer network. The project has an estimated cost of £4.1 Billion and is scheduled for completion in 2025.

IMG_20220801_005613.jpg

IMG_20220801_005819.jpg

IMG_20220801_005059.jpg

IMG_20220801_004449.jpg

IMG_20220801_005143.jpg

IMG_20220801_010218.jpg

IMG_20220801_011530.jpg

This should be right up my street. I should be fawning over it as the next phase of evolution of London's Main Drainage network. As an engineering project alone I should find it inspiring. Yet I struggle to even feign interest in it. The explore on the other hand, I tip my hat to you, kudos due for sure; no doubt a buzz and a half! I just find the tunnel itself a little soulless. Maybe I'll give 150 years. ;)

This should be right up my street. I should be fawning over it as the next phase of evolution of London's Main Drainage network. As an engineering project alone I should find it inspiring. Yet I struggle to even feign interest in it. The explore on the other hand, I tip my hat to you, kudos due for sure; no doubt a buzz and a half! I just find the tunnel itself a little soulless. Maybe I'll give 150 years. ;)
Marc and Isambard Brunel would be marvelling at how tunnelling is done today.

Bloody brilliant, did you have to SRT up 50m to get out too? Genuinely stunning pics of London's Cloaca Maxima and I thought only the romans could build things that size. Thanks so much for sharing, it quite made my Christmas eve as I somehow missed it when you first posted it!

Blimey, a blast from the past, could this be the same jondoe from suburban? the handle seems the same as those used before? if so, my salutations sir, glad to see you are still going strong!

Blimey, a blast from the past, could this be the same jondoe from suburban? the handle seems the same as those used before? if so, my salutations sir, glad to see you are still going strong!
Ahoy! The same indeed. Likewise, tip my hat to you good Sir, nice to see there's still a few of us 'veterans' keeping an oar in.

In reference to this particular post, my reply wasn't irreverence for what is quite clearly a gargantuan engineering undertaking; it's just that it doesn't grab me particularly, which was a surprise to me. However, as mentioned in my reply to the original post of @callumcrom00, the exploration itself is quite the accomplishment. 🎩

Ahoy! The same indeed. Likewise, tip my hat to you good Sir, nice to see there's still a few of us 'veterans' keeping an oar in.

In reference to this particular post, my reply wasn't irreverence for what is quite clearly a gargantuan engineering undertaking; it's just that it doesn't grab me particularly, which was a surprise to me. However, as mentioned in my reply to the original post of @callumcrom00, the exploration itself is quite the accomplishment. 🎩

will send you a PM now. cheers.

The Thames Tideway is a massive infrastructure project to excavate a deep level interceptor sewer to store and transport waste water across London, much of which currently overflows into the River Thames. The deep level tunnel will run from Acton to Abbey Mills - a distance of around 25 kilometres. The tunnel depth at Acton is about 30 metres, descending to 66 metres at its terminus. The tunnel has a diameter of 7.2 metres. At the Abbey Mills terminus, the waste water will enter the existing Lee Tunnel and will be treated at Beckton Sewage Works.

Construction is taking place using six Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) and a total of 24 construction sites have been established. The giant TBMs were built in Germany and France and after arriving on site by barge were assembled on site. Many of the spoil extraction points are adjacent to the River Thames and barges are also being used to remove the spoil and minimise the impact on London’s roads.

One of the largest construction sites is adjacent to Blackfriars Bridge, near to where the culverted River Fleet flows into the Thames. The map marker pin has been located here, where a drop shaft will take the Fleet flow down to the new sewer.

The project is being managed by Bazalgette Tunnel Limited (BTL), a consortium whose name is a refrence back to the original creator of London’s sewer network. The project has an estimated cost of £4.1 Billion and is scheduled for completion in 2025.

View attachment 518924
View attachment 518925
View attachment 518926
View attachment 518927
View attachment 518928
View attachment 518929
View attachment 518930

View attachment 518924
View attachment 518925
View attachment 518926
View attachment 518927
View attachment 518928
View attachment 518929
View attachment 518930
Looks like Blofeld's underground HQ from a Bond film!

Looks like Blofeld's underground HQ from a Bond film!

I always thought it pretty cool that London has been used as a location for previous bond films, and even the fast and the furious.

Back