The House Artisan - September 2016

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant report on what was a very high class house in its hey day - the crest above the hallway door and the furniture there in being pointers. Flavel cooker is probably 70's, but items on the kitchen window sill indicate much more recent activities in the kitchen. Within the social standing of the area, the house was obviously lived in by somebody with a 'profession' and the cart could point to this being the residence of the local undertaker - although local doctor or even mine manager would have reasons for having the cart on hand for emergencies. As to the artwork - is it the work of the talented younger generation who lived in the house? Looking back to the 60's and 70's, drawing/painting and assembling 3D collages of natural objects was a common past time for talented youngsters, especially when isolated from the city lights - and no silly electronic gadgets/games in those days.

I simply love your insight into places and peoples reports and this is no exception, I have to agree with you on the "doctor/surgeon" part, I found some info about the gent upon a few pictures I didn't share (obvious) reasons, so yes your looking at someones home who possibly did use the cart, more than we may imagine at first.
As for the artwork I think your right about this aswel, as many folders of sketches and models aswel as woodwork and alike in the home seemed to match the artists "designs" in this folder.

Photographs I took of the possible owners show very "dated" attire and this being well away from any city lights and general electronic gizmos it all indicates to your eye, this is why I enjoy your comments so much, a guy of knowledge aswel as an eye to look past what many would see as a stunning room, but alas your past profession shows your knack for looking deeper thank you Dirus :D

Thanks very much Mockingbird for your kind words. I was shown the ropes on photo interpretation by a very skilled ex-military WW2 photo-recon interpreter, but like actual incident scene examination the tenets are the same - just quietly immerse one's self in the image / or scene, with no pre-conceived notions of what you will find. If you go into a kitchen with 'I must find that Belfast Sink that's in here somewhere', your eyes will pass over far more interesting objects - but they will not register. Obviously the more time one spends looking, the more that is revealed; however, in the excitement and stress of being somewhere where you perhaps should not be (and many explores can be like that) taking it very slowly isn't always and option. 'Tools of the trade' aside, I count myself lucky to have been born when I was, information had to be gleaned from the printed page, maps, photographs, word of mouth, or actual unplanned visits when one just came across an interesting site when out walking - and not from the likes Google etc., because I seem to have a brain wired in such a way that makes information from the printed page, or an actual visit, far more interesting and easier to memorise than from the screen (what you are used to I suppose).One should also note that using the printed book for gaining information always gives extra details in the other chapters, a Google search only gives answers relative to what you initially asked for. Actually it is quite obvious from your photographs that you do 'take in' the scene/room, as above, because your images always tell a coherent story. Sadly in todays climate of 'don't look, just wreck it' one would be very remiss in revealing all of the story to the public - so it's very nice to be able to find out much more of the story from a set of well thought out photographs - which yours always are. Again thanks for all your hard work, much appreciated.

To the hard working backroom staff - many thanks for the kind birthday wishes!

Last edited:
Thanks very much Mockingbird for your kind words. I was shown the ropes on photo interpretation by a very skilled ex-military WW2 photo-recon interpreter, but like actual incident scene examination the tenets are the same - just quietly immerse one's self in the image / or scene, with no pre-conceived notions of what you will find. If you go into a kitchen with 'I must find that Belfast Sink that's in here somewhere', your eyes will pass over far more interesting objects - but they will not register. Obviously the more time one spends looking, the more that is revealed; however, in the excitement and stress of being somewhere where you perhaps should not be (and many explores can be like that) taking it very slowly isn't always and option. 'Tools of the trade' aside, I count myself lucky to have been born when I was, information had to be gleaned from the printed page, maps, photographs, word of mouth, or actual unplanned visits when one just came across an interesting site when out walking - and not from the likes Google etc., because I seem to have a brain wired in such a way that makes information from the printed page, or an actual visit, far more interesting and easier to memorise than from the screen (what you are used to I suppose). Actually it is quite obvious from your photographs that you do 'take in' the scene/room, as above, because your images always tell a coherent story. Sadly in todays climate of 'don't look, just wreck it' one would be very remiss in revealing all of the story to the public - so it's very nice to be able to find out much more of the story from a set of well thought out photographs - which yours always are. Again thanks for all your hard work, much appreciated.

To the hard working backroom staff - many thanks for the kind birthday wishes!

Dirus I could listen to your words for hours in all honesty this fascinates me, to such an extent that as soon as you comment upon peoples reports I love reading what you have to say, how you notice subtle yet positive things many of us would class as trinkets or gems, eg a photo or say an item they once used, having someone like yourself on this forum has always been a pleasure to receive feedback from, especially with such an in depth look. I try and take as much time as I can looking around my surroundings, not so much for a photograph opportunity but to either relate to an object to see a room or imagine how it once was, so my take on a building no matter what I try an tell a story, even if its the wrong story or not, as not many of us know for certain, I take in the atmosphere, check for light sources an simply study what I see, not just walk into a room photograph leave, next room vice versa.

I would much rather read from a book than look up something on the internet and I benefit more being told how to use something, such as a camera by someone with experience of the tool not the editing techniques available today, shamefully we live in a world where things are at our fingertips rather than our own findings, I'm glad your able to see that what I photograph despite not always obvious to start with, I'm telling a story though or I'm putting thought into what I photograph, I was brought up using a film camera so my shots are usually thought out well despite the obvious "sewing machine shot" - "lonely chair shot" which I just take and tweak on camera.

No problem at all Dirus thank you for taking the time in looking at my photographs and studying them in such a way, I need not share the history, its greatly appreciated :)

Latest posts

Back