The House of Memories, Gloucestershire July '12

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this sort of stuff doesnt really do it for me exploring wise
yes its nice to see old stuff left in situ BUT
it was still someones house etc
no doubt now its on forums the tourists will arrive and stuff start to disappear :(
i think its the rifling through someones stuff just to get the shot
to big yourself up on the said forums
that annoys me

Glad you got to see it Mooks, is it right that the cellar is flooded?

no doubt now its on forums the tourists will arrive and stuff start to disappear :(

Not if people keep their mouths shut it won't, only a select few people have seen this place and it has stayed exactly the same since I saw it this time last year. I expect the person who told Mookster about it has trust in him as they had trust in everyone else they let view it.

I totally agree with you in regards to things going missing and how bad it is, but this house is an example of if good exploring without a second motive.

All we need is trust and trust is earned and easily lost too.

this sort of stuff doesnt really do it for me exploring wise
yes its nice to see old stuff left in situ BUT
it was still someones house etc
i think its the rifling through someones stuff just to get the shot
to big yourself up on the said forums
that annoys me

This place has been known about for years, it first popped up last year in public across many sites and nothing happened to it. I thought it had long since been cleared and sold until I was tipped off. The few people who have asked me where it is I have all said the same thing to, they need to talk to the guy who found it first because I cannot say where it is. It was sheer luck in a chance conversation that led to me seeing this place because I had long written it off as somewhere I'd never see.

In addition, every single report of the place that has gone up has included no information about where the place is, all the personal info in the photos is blurred out and there isn't even a city in the thread titles in any reports that have gone up previously. There is pretty much zero chance of anyone being able to find it from any of the photos posted online, mine or others. The house is an ordinary non-descript townhouse with no searchable info on it so there is no danger of it ever getting on the tourist trail.

To say that rifling through people's stuff annoys you is a bit pointless, the same could be said for rifling through the belongings left inside West Park, personal items left inside large factories, personal documents in hospitals etc etc. They are all people's 'stuff' but I bet you and others have no problem rifling through them? I treated this house with the utmost respect, like my own home, I didn't move around any major items, put back belongings where they had been before and left it looking exactly as it was because I acknowledged the family's ownership. Maybe it's just how mint the place is that skews people's visions, somewhere like Manor C/Farmer John's, or The House of Antiques in Kent is far more decayed and obviously derelict but you just have to look at the villas and chateaus in Belgium that pop up which are exactly the same sort of place as this but treated as 'epic' by everyone. We could learn a thing or two from them and it's seeing places like this in the UK that make me understand why they are so secretive about places over there.

In my eyes these places need to be seen, this house (and others like it) could have been totally cleared by the owners way back in 1995 or it could just as easily have been bought and had everything inside chucked in a skip. It's a snapshot of someone's whole life and I'd much rather spend my time rooting through a small place full of old tat than a large, totally empty (not 'derelict') manor house - no disrespect to SK the ones you've found look great but just are not my cup of tea :)

To me this place proves the old mantra - explore everything.

Cellar was unflooded at the time of this visit, probably a good thing because all the electrics are still wired up and working!

ah thats good to know as it would have lost a lot of it's charm as the cellar was as good as the rest of it.

And here, here to your other reply. :)

To say that rifling through people's stuff annoys you is a bit pointless, the same could be said for rifling through the belongings left inside West Park, personal items left inside large factories, personal documents in hospitals etc etc. They are all people's 'stuff' but I bet you and others have no problem rifling through them? I treated this house with the utmost respect, like my own home, I didn't move around any major items, put back belongings where they had been before and left it looking exactly as it was because I acknowledged the family's ownership. Maybe it's just how mint the place is that skews people's visions, somewhere like Manor C/Farmer John's, or The House of Antiques in Kent is far more decayed and obviously derelict but you just have to look at the villas and chateaus in Belgium that pop up which are exactly the same sort of place as this but treated as 'epic' by everyone. We could learn a thing or two from them and it's seeing places like this in the UK that make me understand why they are so secretive about places over there.

To me this place proves the old mantra - explore everything.

not pointless at all, factories and hospitals I've gone through all the paperwork
i just think this was someones personal space thats why i wouldn't do it
thats all, its not meant as a dig at you

great pics and write up dude ,,and great follow up post ,,i think your right in what you say these places are very interesting and provide a snapshot to the past ,that most will never see apart from museums,but this is real life settings ,fantastic stuff keep it up

I like the mantra "Explore everything" why limit yourself?

What a fantastic find, and long may it last.

Latest posts

Back