The Zeppelin

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsankt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
A curve ball pitched amongst a weekend based around other things, the Cardington airship hangers are no secret and no grail. They're marked discreetly on the SuperSize A-Z in small red text a few millimeters high. If you turn your eyes from the motorway for a moment you might notice their twin forms looming over the surrounds. Like MCAS Tustin these hangers, these ziggurats overwhelm everything around with little effort.

Hanger
1333.jpg

Exterior of the hanger in use by the Airship company. The green hanger in the background is filled with Warner Bros trinkets (and workers).

Their quiet somber demeanor may be deserved however, for involvement in the history of airship R101. You've probably never heard of R101, I certainly hadn't. The 777ft long (that's 137.88 indian elephants end to end) R101 was assembled inside the massive Cardington Hangers, with a final volume of 5.5 million cubic feet (160,000 m³). On October 4th 1930 R101 departed Cardington on a flight to India, a journey of ~7000km. Most cars won't make it that far without one problem or another, our forefathers were clearly batshit fucking insane. On the 5th of October, over France, R101 burst into flames and plummeted into the ground. Even the claimed non-inflammable heavy fuel oil caught alight, and burned on for 24 hours. The small world of airship disaster real estate is dominated by the Hindenburg though it's behind R101 on the fatality leader board. Forty eight people died in the crash, most in the blazing inferno before R101 even hit the ground.

Under the sea
1332.jpg

An odd fish indeed, below the tranquil seas of blue.

Today one hanger is owned by Warner Brothers for use as a massive sounds stage, it holds many of the Batman sets and even the Batmobile. The other is owned by Airship Technologies. Not dissuaded by the ominous history of Cardington they're building and testing airships, one of which we were lucky to see moored (parked?) inside. That's humankind right there as I see it. We'll build these monstrosities and know we're crazy for doing so, but bold enough to say "Fuck it, we're building it anyways." R101 had a smoking room, lined with asbestos no less, to accommodate 24 people merrily puffing away on their pipes, cigars and cigarettes, as was the fashion of the day.

Scorched Earth
1331.jpg

I must tip my hat to these crazy motherfuckers; they weren't afraid of lung cancer or asbestosis, not a care in the world. Today you can't smoke within 5 meters of the door to a government building. You can't smoke on bus, a plane or a train. The final bastion of smoker's resistance, the pub, has been overthrown to. Seventy years ago though you could take to the skies in a giant balloon full of hydrogen, wrap yourself in an asbestos room and puff to your heart's content. Hydrogen burns, but the trusty asbestos will protect me. Heaven help the poor drunken soul who got a lil rowdy and punched in a few asbestos walls. If the giant floating hydrogen bomb doesn't get you, the damn asbestosis will. This is lunacy of the highest order, lunacy endorsed by the government, the military and the paying public. I don't know where this type of thinking went but bring it back. Deep down, us humans are just plain old fucking crazy.

Airships. Yes. Must get on over to mine for some piccies. Although there is a lot less to see than at yours. Crazy people of the day built a whole town around it and knocked it all down again within the space of a few years. Money to burn, obviously. As well as airships. ;)

Hahaha your description of those old time smokers is great! You have been a busy lad recently. This is a very interesting explore, and the history is fascinating.

It might be lunacy, but it's also potentially one of the most efficient (both financially and environmentally) methods of moving stuff around that there is. That's why they keep persevering with trying to make it work.

The originator of this thread should not trash the efforts and endeavors, of the people involved in the Imperial Airship Scheme. He clearly has no idea of the historical facts, and his inane comments do little to enhance his report and photographs. The R100 and R101 were a genuine attempt to provide a speedy and direct means of travel to the distant parts of Empire. The fact that the government committee designed - and twice modified before its maiden flight - R101 crashed on its proving flight, sounded the death knell for commercial British airship development. The sad fact was that the R100; designed by Barnes Wallis and privately funded and built, was a vastly superior airship. The premature scrapping of the R100 following the demise of the R101 ended a project that just might have become the prototype for a very successful line of airships. This would have certainly happened if the British Government had pressured the USA to provide supplies of Helium Gas.

One should also note as a point of historical accuracy, the word 'Zeppelin' should only be used to describe airships built to Count von Zeppelin's patents. Sadly its use as a generic term, does nothing to enhance the facts of this fascinating and still relevant subject.

picture.php

I went there 2 years ago, couldn't get close but got some photos & by chance found the memorial in the churchyard.

picture.php

I believe all onboard who died are buried here. Many couldn't be identified.

Over the years I've read a few accounts of the accident, & they all seem to suggest the R101 hit the ground before catching fire.

PS: Having problems inserting pictures, so have attached links that might work.

I used to pass these fairly regularly. The photo's do not show the size/scale of these buildings. They are HUGE. This may give some idea

Last edited:
Ive been wanting to visit these for a while! great photos, the inside ones especially. Ive read a bit on the howden air ship station which barnes wallis was involved with, sadly not much remains there except a water tower, some of the residential buildings and this mooring rig:

2558968049_51f2b39306.jpg

the guy who runs a farm on the site up there was really helpful and let us look around.

awesome pics!

political correctness gone mad! (confused with heath and safety laws)

The small shed surrounded by trees half a mile to the east is where the mooring mast used to be.

Great post,
Drive past these all the time but never got any pics, these hangers are humungous!!!!

Well done for getting close up, the place looks well fenced.:)

I've never been past these beasts but when viewed on flashearth comapred to the size of the housing estate........!!!

Wow just wow, the size of those hangers is immense, and i agree with you, who cares about health and safety :p we want our danger back, makes life less boring.

Loving the blue from the roof of the hanger, kind of reminds me of a night sky, with all those holes punched through.

Thanks all.

Bring back the craziness, life has become far too safe. Saying that I'm in Mongolia atm, where life is far less valuable and OH&S seems non-existent. Crossing the road is hectic, the drivers speed up at you. Love it :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back