tilty mill, essex

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4201Chieftain

Reaction score
so this will be my first report here, hoping it goes well! any advice on how to better present reports would be appreciated!

a little bit about the place then.
tilty mill is a small watermill near the village of tilty, essex. the mill was built in the early part of the 1700's and was heightened at some time during the 1800's. most of the machinery inside was replaced when the building was heightened and for the most part, is completley in tact. the building is only small, but due to its age and condition, it is quite an interesting find. now for the pics!
visited by me and an off forum friend, didnt fancy venturing too far into the building as the floor board were not in good nick and the friend i was with refused to enter. falling through floorboards into the waterwheel housing without someone to pull me out didnt sound fun lol.

6845874623_f59526d7b6.jpg
[/url] tilty1 by 4201chieftain, on Flickr[/IMG]

tilty4 by 4201chieftain, on Flickr

love the cast iron held together with rivets, they really dont make things like this anymore!

tilty2 by 4201chieftain, on Flickr

tilty3 by 4201chieftain, on Flickr

at the bottom of the chute you can see the housing for the millstones, there were 3 pairs on the 1st floor alone!

tilty5 by 4201chieftain, on Flickr

the pill box has nothing to do with the mill other than it is next to it. thought this one is quite interesting as it has been built in a barn to disguise it from german planes during the war. the fact it has been covered its whole life means the brick work is extreamly clean, like it was built yesterday!

tiltybunker by 4201chieftain, on Flickr

Some really nice original features there glad they have survived :)

Latest posts

Back