Tower Colliery. Glamorgan, May 2016 with 360°

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimboInTaffland

Reaction score
As there's been a few reports of this monument to welsh mining, I'll keep it brief.

Updates from last reports on here: There's now caravans on site although likely used by Tower company staff when they are using the offices/toolsheds during the week. They are powered, generator running and propane tank installed. 2 active looking cameras on the modern office building.

Bathhouse (what I believe is the old changing room) floor is starting to crack and dip in the centre of the room, clear signs of messy explorers (discarded flash batteries, posed items etc.)

Missed out one building as the ceiling was looking pretty sketchy, although will be going back at some point as got a few other interests in the area.

History
Tower Colliery is located near the village of Hirwaun, in Glamorgan, South Wales. The colliery, established in 1864, has been linked in the past with nearby mines, none of which remain operational and was purchased by the workforce in December 1994; the mine was successfully operated until the exhaustion of the workable underground reserves in January 2008.

The undergrounds were not deemed financially viable but thankfully the Tower company still opencast on the other sides of the hill.

360 "tour"

UHPAXHS.jpg

pSEfiEi.jpg
XByFn7E.jpg
AZUpkvd.jpg
jjQfiI3.jpg
dyUnREn.jpg
7CQWKph.jpg
w40e68X.jpg
qhKqRT9.jpg
YmcMHOW.jpg
oHuRdP8.jpg
5Kbso0y.jpg
wTLQ7GD.jpg
ciuOQoG.jpg
7aqf1yP.jpg
pNTeGV4.jpg
XVuYGpz.jpg
DS3elkk.jpg
8hR9svu.jpg
ukOJStI.jpg
yjKYX9I.jpg

OOH I did enjoy that Jim, I've never explored a colliery but did work in a tin mine and noticed the dry and showers are similar, Nicely Done, Thanks

A very good first post, its amazing what you can find in Wales. I spotted an old Commodore VIC20, I remember them back in the 1980s.

Cracking first post bud - loved picture 2 - would try putting a space in between your pictures bud - just makes it a little easier on the eyes.
great work

Sad to see the place wrecked,it was still running during my June 2007 visit

Very emotive images.

Back