Tweedmuir Military Camp, Surrey - Oct 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professor frink

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In 1939 the 13th Governor General of Canada, Lord Tweedsmuir signed the Declaration of War that formally brought Canada into WWII.

The Canadian Infantry Division landed in England on the 17 December 1939 with the intention of joining operations with the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) in the summer of 1940.

However the war in mainland Europe was not going according to plan and Operation "Dynamo" (Dunkirk evacuation) was launched.

This resulted in the Canadian soldiers remaining in this country and not joining the (BEF). There now existed the problem of accommodating the Canadian Army in the UK.

Whilst it was considered reasonably practicable for the Canadian Forces to be quartered under canvas during summer months, winter conditions necessitated more substantial quarters for the Canadian soldiers.

On the 28 October 1940, the War Office London authorised the construction of Tweedmuir and elected to engage private contractors to finish the work. However, a lack of private labour demanded the call up of the Royal Canadian Engineers.

Construction of Tweedsmuir Camp started on 14 April 1941 and was completed by 25 November 1941.

After The War

For two years after the war Tweedsmuir Camp was a demobilising depot for Canadian Repatriation Units until it became vacant and due for demolition.

However, one consequence of the war in Europe was the large number of displaced people who, for one reason or another, were unable to return home.
The Polish Forces, who fought with the British Army in North Africa and Central Europe, were a major part of this 'displaced population'. To avoid a human catastrophe these individuals were temporarily housed in the now empty Tweedmuir camp.

As the Polish families living in Tweedsmuir integrated into the community the camp once again fell vacant, allowing it to be partially demolished by early 1960.

1. RAF Aerial photograph of Tweedmuir 29 January 1946.
A line of soldiers can be seen marching off the parade ground (#16 on map below), with military vehicles at the top of the parade ground.
tweedlesrafmap.jpg

You can see a plan of the site at: http://www.tweedsmuirmilitarycamp.co.uk/plan.html

4. Firing range security post (#22)
IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

6. Indoor revolver firing range (#25)
IMG_0731-1.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

8. Outdoor rifle range wall (#26)
IMG_0797.jpg

9. View of wall from firing trench
IMG_0793.jpg

10. Damage to wall from stray gunfire
IMG_0764.jpg

11. Parade Ground (#16)
IMG_0830.jpg

12. One of the three water treatment filter beds (#5)
IMG_0816-1.jpg

13. Small brick bunker and foundations of a small septic tank (#20)
IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

15. Water tower (#18)
IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

Sadly most of the other buildings have been reduced to rubble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...very interesting. The narrative of this is not unlike that of the Banstead Camp, which was used both as camp for Canadians and then German POWs (I keep meaning to put up some stuff on this - its now used as an outdoor pursuits centre). Can you PM me a link for Tweedmuir Prof? Thanks
GDZ

Excellent site, Prof. Love the concrete water tower. It's very unusual and looks like a scaled-down version of the Hafodyrynys Mine Washery...same kind of props and shape. Some really good remains there. :)

Crackin' report Frinky !! Only just noticed it.You must have posted it when i was away !! Think i'll be checkin' this one out sometime soon-thanx for bringin' it to my attention !!

This was our milking parlour.

Attachments

• 85619-IMG-0675 (1).jpg
    85619-IMG-0675 (1).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
This was our cow bire.

Attachments

• 85622-IMG-0723.jpg
    85622-IMG-0723.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
These were water storage units for the fire pumps and the camp was mainly built of wood.

Attachments

• 85627-IMG-0816-1.jpg
    85627-IMG-0816-1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
Back