TYPE 24&28 Pillbox's West Row,Suffolk 07/10

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinchItIn

Reaction score
Explored with Stuck247

While out looking for ROC post's, we came across these pillbox's. At West Row, Suffolk on the south side of Judes Ferry Bridge, over the River Lark.

(From the Defence of Britain overlay) Thanks Cptpies.

The first one was a Type 28 Anti-tank gun emplacement with a large stepped embrasure which faces North towards the bridge, with two smaller LMG/rifle embrasures either side and the doorway at the rear. Brick external shuttering with concrete roof.

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5082-1.jpg

The bridge is to the right of the large tree on the left.
IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

The Second was a Type 24 , hexagon shaped, I was only able to get a couple of picture of this, from the road as crops where in the fields.

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Barney

Good that I have never seen one of that type yet. You could try and do what I do which is walk round teh edge of the field to get to the second pillbox but no doubt the field will be cut soon.:)

Thanks Barney. The T28 has a holdfast for a 6Pdr Hotchkiss. There's supposed to be another T24 or T22 right at the south end of the bridge, you didn't get a glimpse of that by any chance?

cptpies
There's supposed to be another T24 or T22 right at the south end of the bridge, you didn't get a glimpse of that by any chance?

Unfortunately I only found that out last night after downloading the D.O.B. I am going to take another run out there probably next week so I shall have a good look for it-my machete is coming with me to help with likely gardening for access.

Barney

A nice pair there Winch, thanks for the looksee. Agree with NC, I've taken to sticking to the edge of the field when approaching PB's. Works for me ;)

Back