UE themed portraits/self-portraits - 2

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those shots really take the biscuit :mrgreen:
Thank you, Gromit!

At least Derelict Places seems not to require users to accept 'cookies'.

When employed by one of the delivery firms I once worked for, I made only a single visit to the MacVitie's factory in Harlesdon, north-west London. Hoping to see round the place, I never got beyond the chap on the gate. "Sign here" and go.

In an idle moment in October 2018, I dunked my bikkie and wrote this:

THE McVITIE OF FIFE. Scotland No 2.

There was a McVitie of Fife,
who took a wee lass for his wife.
Marie said, “Och, I’ll risk it”,
and baked him a biscuit.
It gave them an income for life.

Access details:

DSC_5838.jpg
DSC_2305.jpg
DSC_8950.jpg

Oldies, but a few of my favourite drain 'portraits'. Air-quotes as more often than not having a person in shot serves well for the purpose of scale and so is rarely taken for portrait purposes. All three pics taken in what is a top contender for my absolute most adored section of London's sewer system, colloquially known as Paul's Pasta Steamer.

1.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

Oldies, but a few of my favourite drain 'portraits'. Air-quotes as more often than not having a person in shot serves well for the purpose of scale and so is rarely taken for portrait purposes. All three pics taken in what is a top contender for my absolute most adored section of London's sewer system, colloquially known as Paul's Pasta Steamer.

View attachment 519820

View attachment 519822

View attachment 519821

View attachment 519820

View attachment 519822

View attachment 519821
The stepped method of sewer building - instead of a continuous gradient - seems to have
been done to get away from having to calculate the angle of drop over a given distance and ensure it was maintained. And the pic of the 'tall, thin sewer' shows how a good flow rate was possible even in low volume conditions - although building it would have been difficult. It reminded me of narrow but very tall excavations in tin mines, where the ore body was likewise vertically narrow but also tall.

That's surely not Struanville Hospital getting hit yet again by the R. Crew?

Latest posts

Back