Upper Heyford Airfield Tour November 2010 (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydealfred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
A brief history as the site has been posted on DP many times before.

Upper Heyford opened as an airfield in 1918 and from then until its closure in 1994 had a long and varied career. The field started flying with the Royal Flying Corps and then was used by the Royal Airforce through the war. With the coming of the Cold War the base was taken over by the America’s Strategic Air Command (SAC) in May 1951. Runway lengthening took place with Boeing KB-29P’s tanker aircraft arriving in December 1951. In June 1953 the first Boeing B-47’s bombers arrived which would have made Upper Heyford a very noisy and smoky place to be. The B-47’s were nuclear capable and stayed until March 1965 when the SAC mission ended and the base was taken over by United States Air Force Europe (USAFE). McDonnell RF-101C Voodoo aircraft of the 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing then flew from the airfield until the squadron disbanded in April 1970.

Next came the 20th Tactical Fighter Wing with their General Dynamics F-111E fighter bombers. These were later joined by the ECM version of the F-111, the EF-111A which was a very powerful electronic countermeasures aircraft. It is reputed that four EF-111A’s flying over Europe could basically shut down all communications and radar coverage. EF-111A’s took part in the bombing of Libya - Operation El-Dorado Canyon in 1987 where an F-111F from Lakenheath was lost during the mission. I was at Upper Heyford the morning after this mission which was a surreal moment for me. The F-111’s of both varieties from Upper Heyford were used during the Gulf War in 1991 flying some missions as low as 200 feet using their terrain following radar.

With end of the Cold War Upper Heyfords days were numbered with the last three of the wings aircraft leaving on 7 December 1993. One F-111E - 68055- was flown to the Museum at Duxford where it resides today. Following closure the runways were used to house large numbers of unsold cars. Today the base is pretty much intact and is home to various commercial activities.

I remember well the air shows held at the base as it was like a little bit of America in England. Ice Cold Budweiser beer, proper burgers with friendly American crews stating such facts as “hey bud you look like you could use a burger and a beer” Very frequently I took up the offer. Some shots of the air shows held here in the 80’s can be found here -

http://airshowspast.fotopic.net/c1888439.html

The following photo’s were taken during a tour organised by the Airfield Research Group (ARG) (http://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/). Please do not under any circumstances try and get into any areas shown as security is very tight, you will be spotted and in all likelihoods arrested. For anyone with an interest in such subject matter as posted here, the ARG are worth looking into joining as they organise many tours that take in normally inaccessible areas of airfields.

The Control Tower - no access due to asbestos risk

DSC_3020.jpg

Tower signage

DSC_3008.jpg

Station flag poles

DSC_3007.jpg

One of 48 hardened aircraft shelters (HAS) - designed to withstand bomb blasts in order to protect aircraft

DSC_2967.jpg

Internal view of HAS

DSC_4833.jpg

Not sure of its purpose - located in HAS

DSC_4840.jpg

Motor for opening HAS doors

DSC_2981.jpg

HAS control electrical control cabinet

DSC_2979.jpg

Observation tower located within the HAS area

DSC_2975.jpg

Taxi way signage

DSC_2987.jpg

Avionics Building

DSC_2948.jpg

Door signage in the Avionics Building

DSC_2953.jpg

Wall art in the Avionics Building

DSC_4821.jpg

DSC_4802.jpg

DSC_4797.jpg

Corridor within the Avionics Building

DSC_4824.jpg

Electrical distribution board - Avionics Building

DSC_4806.jpg

Self explanatory sign

DSC_3032.jpg

Decontamination equipment

DSC_3029.jpg

Shower head in decontamination unit

DSC_4813.jpg

Some shots within the Hardened Command Centre

DSC_3044.jpg

This board shows the final crews and aircraft sorties that flew from Upper Heyford

DSC_3068.jpg

Aircraft munitions status board - note B61 & B57 at the top are nuclear weapons

DSC_3061.jpg

Aircraft status board

DSC_3063.jpg

You never know who's listening in ;)

DSC_3045.jpg

This map covered an entire wall but has mostly been removed

DSC_3054.jpg

Phone contact listing

DSC_3074.jpg

Not really sure what this does ??

DSC_3037.jpg

The all important clock

DSC_3078.jpg

One of the remaining hangars

DSC_3094.jpg

This sign is located inside the Station HQ building

DSC_2915.jpg

And to end - some of the superb wall art within the Station HQ building

DSC_2903.jpg

DSC_2909.jpg

DSC_2906.jpg

DSC_2916.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Great stuff Alf..I had the chance to see this tuesday but didnt want to risk the wrath taking a sickie..well done mate.

No the tour mostly concentrated on the airfield - we only briefly went to the accommodation - domestic side of things.

shame about the tower but the rest if it is great and i know stu is itching to get in there lol there is always next year stu

cheers hydealfred :mrgreen:

i went here when i was about 17 at worked for a ford, ford use to do all there PDI's of new cars there not sure if they still do and on what part it was it was a long time ago, i know alot of other car makes where there also, all brand new cars un-plated waiting to be send all round the country

Superb stuff, Alf. Such a lot of interesting things. The wall art is great.
Cheers for that...and for the link, too. Oddly enough, I was just thinking earlier about getting permission to see the WW2 part of another airfield that's very much live and inaccessible. :)

F111's and Jack Daniels

weird looking at these pictures, used to go there when it was live to one of the biggest piss-ups in the uk! The Firemans Ball.....:confused:

I visited this place when it was live...the 'Weather Dept' sgn showed where I was working as I worked on fax machines that recorded detail sent out by Bracknell. This gave me the opportunity to travel all over the Southern Counties visiting many airfields of all types. RAF Fairford was another one that I was a regular visitor to.

Excellent pictures...well done for getting the wall art photographed as this will be desecrated soon.

Latest posts

Back