Victoria 6 faced clock (the extended tour) - Liverpool feb 2010 -

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgie

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
my last report from here lacked some roof shots i though id better get back and get some... so ill cut right to the chase with the pics straight to the roof we go watching as the police do some sort of training on the river mersey looked like they was chasing eachother in some excercise
and with the sounds of music in the background from the travelling fair that had just opened for the day we set our sights on the little house just over the way from the clock not sure what it was used for but curiosity got the better of us and with a little hop skip and jump we was inside.. i was hoping for a little more inside but sadly denied just the usual....fire places...but rather nice

ohh well anyway after that we headed north along the dock wall further and found a nice little substation of some sort which wasnt much really but thought it would fit well on this thread

bit of history

Victoria Tower is a Gothic style clock tower located alongside Salisbury Dock in Liverpool, England. Positioned between the two river entrance gates to the Salisbury Dock itself, the tower acted as an aid to ships by providing both an accurate time and also warning of impending meteorological changes.

Victoria Tower was designed by Jesse Hartley and was constructed between 1847 and 1848, to commemorate the opening of Salisbury Dock. Its design was based upon an earlier drawing that had been made by Philip Hardwick in 1846.

Victoria Tower, which was often referred to as the 'docker's clock', was built as an aid to ships in the port, as it allowed them to set the correct time as they sailed out into the Irish Sea, while its bell warned of impending meteorological changes such as high tide and fog. Upon its completion is also served as a flat for the Pier Master.

Today, despite being in a state of dereliction, Victoria Tower is part of the Stanley Dock Conservation Area and also Liverpool's World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City. It is a grade II listed building.

Hartley's inspiration for the tower's design was the castle architecture of the Rhine region in Central Europe and is clearly visible in the numerous embrasures that are cut into the tower walls. It was constructed from 'irregular shaped' blocks of grey granite, a building material that was used in many of Hartley's other construction projects. The tower can be roughly split into three portions:

* The tapered circular base, which has several arched alcoves
* The central hexagonal column onto which the tower's six clocks are attached
* The roof, which consists of an overhanging 'castellated parapet' that is supported by several corbels

clock2hdr.jpg

DSCF8864.jpg

DSCF8837.jpg

DSCF8829.jpg

DSCF8830.jpg

DSCF8842.jpg

DSCF8843.jpg

DSCF8845.jpg

DSCF8847.jpg

DSCF8826-1.jpg

the house of some sort
DSCF8909.jpg

fire telephone?
DSCF8908.jpg

DSCF8885.jpg

DSCF8888.jpg

DSCF8904.jpg

DSCF8902.jpg

DSCF8895.jpg

DSCF8893.jpg

onto the substation
DSCF8805-1.jpg

DSCF8806.jpg

DSCF8807.jpg

DSCF8809.jpg

DSCF8811.jpg

DSCF8812.jpg

DSCF8813.jpg

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the 'fire telephone' was directly connected to the Fire Station.
Excellent pics and write-up, Georgie. Loved seeing the substation too. :)

What an odd-shaped building. It looks even more out of proprtion next to the house! The shots you took looking straight down made my tummy turn :sick:
If its listed an in a conservation area, are there any plans to restore it?
Whose is the pink hard hat in the substation? Amazing how the regulations notice is still there even though the rest of the place has been trashed.

Back