Vila Fernando Correctional Education Facility - Elvas, Portugal - July 2018

Help Support Derelict Places:

J_a_t_33

Well-known member
DP Supporter
Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Messages
607
Reaction score
676
Location
Henley on Thames or Ibiza
The college, which officially closed at the end of 2008, was a correctional facility for troubled young people for more than a century. The Vila Fernando Correctional Colony was in operation since its creation, in 1895 until the end of 2007. The boarding house intended to educate troubled young people from all over the country, through agricultural work and livestock breeding, based on models of institutions in central Europe.

October 6 1895, the facility opened under the name Escola Penal Agrícola de Vila Fernando with 51 minors, all registered from the prisons and dungeons of Lisbon. They had been arrested due to a public demonstration on the occasion of the centenary of António.

Figura-1-Vista-aerea-da-Colonia-Correcional-de-Vila-Fernando-Anos-30.png


The design of the key buildings being built (with neo-gothic characteristics) was designed by Eng. Mendes Guerreiro.

Workshops (1905)
History - Workshops 1905.jpg


Many of the inhabitants were employees of the colony and some of them lived on its premises, becoming the largest employer in the region.

Staff housing (1904)
History - Staff housing (1904).jpg


The colony also had numerous services and infrastructures that it made available to the general population, as well as holding events open to the population, such as football games, theater or mass.

Band by clock tower
History - Band by clock tower.jpg


Food was always made with products from the colony itself, being practically self-sufficient. In addition to the cattle and pigs, it had a vegetable garden that produced all vegetables and fruit orchards.

Open air pig slaughter
History - Open air pig slaughter.jpg


At the beginning of the 20th century, the existing buildings were used for the residences of the director, deputy director, doctor, senior officials, agricultural regent and porter and also included the GNR post, prison, clock tower, pavilions and cafeteria, service support, hospital, various workshops and classrooms with secretarial support.

Main avenue of Vila Fernando Colony
History - Main avenue of Vila Fernando Colony.jpg


In 1963, the building complex was completely remodeled, with new buildings having been constructed and others adapted in the following years, the streets were improved and the rainwater sewage network was built.

From the 70s / 80s of the last century, with the changes in the laws of minors, the colony was receiving fewer young people and the organization and functioning were transformed, starting to function as an Educational Center.

Carpentry workshop
History - Carpentry workshop.jpg


Family room
History - Family room.jpg


Mechanics workshop
History - Mechanics workshop.jpg


Tailoring workshop
History - Tailoring workshop.jpg




And this is how it looked on my visit in 2018:

Photo 1.jpg


Photo 2b.jpg


Photo 3b.jpg


Photo 4b.jpg


Photo 5.jpg


Photo 6b.jpg


Photo 7.jpg


Photo 8.jpg


Photo 9.jpg


Photo 10.jpg


Photo 11.jpg


Photo 12.jpg



Animal area

Photo 13.jpg


Photo 14b.jpg


Photo 15.jpg


Photo 16.jpg


Photo 17.jpg


Photo 18.jpg


Photo 19.jpg


"100 years of building tomorrow with the past and the future"
Photo 20.jpg


Photo 21.jpg



Photo 22.jpg


Photo 23.jpg


Photo 24.jpg


Photo 25.jpg


Photo 26.jpg


Photo 27.jpg


Photo 29.jpg


Photo 30.jpg



Gate house

Photo 31.jpg


Photo 32.jpg


Photo 33.jpg


Photo 34.jpg


Photo 35.jpg


Photo 36.jpg



Thanks for looking :)
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top