Vimy Ridge Farm, Kinoulton, Notts.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaputnik

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
85Vintage suggested a visit here a while back, so we added it to a list of Notts, explores on a recent sunday outing.

Formerly known as Pasture Hill farm, Vimy Ridge Farm was renamed by sir Jesse William Hind, who planted 184 Lombardy poplar trees on the lane up to the farm, reminiscent of the poplar lined avenues of northern france, dedicated to the memory of his son, Lt. Francis Montague Hind, who was wounded in Gallipoli in 1915 and died aged 23 during the battle of the Somme, on the 27th Sept, 1916, and also to the memory of the 183 other members of the Sherwood Forresters regiment 9th battalion, who were killed between 7th July, and 30th November 1916 (the beginning and end dates ot the battalion's involvement in the battle)

The farm was re-named by sir Jesse shortly after he purchased it it 1919, and was used to train ex-servicemen in agriculture after their return from the war, and later, to train orphan boys to help them find employment.

Kinoulton parish council commisioned the re-planting of the poplar trees as part of the year 2000 millenium celebrations, as the original trees had become unsafe. the replanting being done in stages, as the trees nearer the road are already noticably more established than those at the farmhouse end.

the roofless ruins of the original house are in a bad state and have seen fire damage at some stage, other add-ons and a large concrete framed more modern structure, and concrete water tower confuse the old layout further, a very weathered looking type 22 brick shuttered pillbox was lurking close by too!

the farmhouse viewed from the water tower, some of the original felled poplar trunks can be seen across the track from the house.
vimy113re.jpg

the nearby pillbox
vimy111re.jpg

vimy114re.jpg

The track now lined by replanted poplars, the ones at this end being planted much more recently than those at the road end
vimy097re.jpg

some of the water tower's residents
vimy117re.jpg

85Vintage will hopefully have more photo's of the place than i got,
thanks for looking. :)

Last edited:
Good write up and pics mate :)

Was a nice walk to the place and good to get up the tower:mrgreen:

From inside the pillbox
DSCF2453.jpg

DSCF2454.jpg

There wasn't much left of or in the house but got a few pics
DSCF2457.jpg

DSCF2494.jpg

There were the remains of 2 beds that had fallen through from the upper floor, makes me wonder what else was left before the fire.

DSCF2490.jpg

DSCF2491.jpg

DSCF2488.jpg

DSCF2486.jpg

DSCF2501.jpg

DSCF2502.jpg

Can see from this pic, that at some point a plaster board wall was put up. I only noticed it because I thought it was that as the support only went to the window ledge, you'd be able to look round the wall
DSCF2496.jpg

Views from the tower

Mick on his way up :mrgreen:
DSCF2462.jpg

DSCF2466.jpg

DSCF2468.jpg

DSCF2479.jpg

Roof structure of the tower, seemed a bit of a mess of beams, but can see from the exterior pic of the tower that the part of the roof that covers the stairway goes through/is part of the conical shaped roof of the tower
DSCF2469.jpg

DSCF2481.jpg

Finally, on the way back down the track
DSCF2506.jpg

Where's the pic of our new friends mick? :lol:

Last edited:
That water tower is really cool, like that a lot. Shame the farms legacy couldn't live on though as some sort of training school:(

That's a nice story, thanks for sharing. Fair play to Sir Jesse.

Do you live around that area, Possesed? oh, and welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
Not far I guess, just a few miles
Im thinking of giving that tower a climb, is the ladder sturdy?
Ive been to the bottom of the tower and the ladder seems tough, but I dont want
to endanger myself too much.:neutral:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back