- Jun 7, 2014
- Reaction score
The church was built between 1865 and 1867, and designed by the local architects W. & G. Audsley. At the time it was built, because of its steeple rising to a height of 200 feet (61 m), it was the highest building in Liverpool. In 1982, when it was no longer used as a Welsh Presbyterian Church.
The denomination was created in 1811 and formalized in 1823 as the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. See Welsh Methodist revival and Calvinistic Methodists. From 1928 on, the denomination was also known as the Presbyterian Church in Wales. So this church, and other buildings may be called Methodist, Calvinist or Presbyterian, but belong to the same establishment
The church is constructed in rock-faced rubble, and has a patterned slate roof. It is in High Victorian Gothic style. The church consists of a nave and transepts, giving it a T-shaped plan. The tower has angle buttresses, which have niches at the top. The bell openings are paired and louvred. On top of the tower are pinnacles and a broach spire with arcading and lucarnes.
The church fell out of use in 1993 &is now in a sorry state
Thanks For looking