Whittingham Hospital (Fourth Lancashire County Asylum)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been to Whittingham a number of times now, it is one of those places where it is so busy - the place changes every visit. I have compiled these photos from 4 trips - there are plenty more where these came from :)

1-11.jpg

2-10.jpg

2-11.jpg

3-11.jpg

4-11.jpg

5-11.jpg

6-10.jpg

7-9.jpg

8-7.jpg

9-8.jpg

10-5.jpg

11-6.jpg

12-6.jpg

13-4.jpg

excuse randomness :exclaim:

Foxylady;12889; said:
After much debate and answers from other forum members, I now know what chavs and pikeys are, but...um...what are scallies please? (I obviously don't get out enough!) :D

I always think of scallies them as Chavs from the northwest - Liverpool, manchester preston area. Another term you might come across is Townies which is just another regoinal variant. But whatever the region they tend to be just the same thing with a different name.

well thats how I understand it anyway.

Reaperman;12906; said:
I always think of scallies them as Chavs from the northwest - Liverpool, manchester preston area. Another term you might come across is Townies which is just another regoinal variant. But whatever the region they tend to be just the same thing with a different name.

well thats how I understand it anyway.

I first remember hearing about scallies 10 years ago, a good before time before the term chav came around.

Jarhead;12918; said:
Scallies are the same as chavs. Townies ARENT the same as these.

.... Explain .... Where I grew up we never had chavs just townies, and as far as i could tell there really wasnt any difference.

Has anyone explored the superintendants house that looks cool I went down about 18 months a go now and the main complex didnt look to bad (well not from the outside) Has it changed much is there bording of the windows ect , the barbed wire fence was well maintained. We got out by using the admin porch as a sort of climbing frame lol

Reaperman;12921; said:
.... Explain .... Where I grew up we never had chavs just townies, and as far as i could tell there really wasnt any difference.

From what I understand, think that "Townies" are the more up-market / posh version of the "Chav".

Hey Mr. B,

Crackin' pictures. Really like the look of your photos -capture the atmosphere of the place really well. Is the spiral staircase in a water tower? Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

Lb:cool:

P.s. -also like that curved corridor!

Lightbuoy;12954; said:
Hey Mr. B,

Crackin' pictures. Really like the look of your photos -capture the atmosphere of the place really well. Is the spiral staircase in a water tower? Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

P.s. -also like that curved corridor!

Cheers lightbuoy - they are from quite a few trips and wanted to choose some that were a bit different!

Spiral staircase is in the tower, yes - its echoes like a goodun in there and the staircase creaks worryingly when you climb up or down it!

Lightbuoy;12953; said:
From what I understand, think that "Townies" are the more up-market / posh version of the "Chav".

^^^ Thats right. Think the guys in Skins... :lol:

mr_bones;12963; said:
Spiral staircase is in the tower, yes - its echoes like a goodun in there and the staircase creaks worryingly when you climb up or down it!

Sounds like Foxylady was right for being scared of that staircase then -dodgy stairs combined with a long drop is never desirable!!:eek: ;)
The Main Hall looks stunning -somehow defient to the chavs, townies etc, etc, etc........has similarities to Severalls / Hellingly Main Halls.
If you get the chance, can we see some more of your pics of Whit? (pretty please?) :)

Seeing as everyone was so positive about the last set, i've got some more!

1-12.jpg

2-17.jpg

3-12.jpg

4-12.jpg

5-12.jpg

6-11.jpg

7-10.jpg

8-8.jpg

9-9.jpg

10-6.jpg

11-7.jpg

12-7.jpg

13-5.jpg

14-3.jpg

15-3.jpg

16-3.jpg

Everyone likes to see a drawer labelled 'Vaginal Examination'? :lol:

The old office equipment look interesting, & guess as most female patients would be living there all year round "well woman" check-ups would be needed......

To answer the question regarding the Superintendant's House, that is attached to St. Lukes and was where the Lawns Shop was as well as the library I believe although I could be wrong about the library. Easily accessed.

The Water tower had a series of floors with a set of stairs running along the wall to each floor. It is only the last section, leading up to the water tank at the top that has the spiral staircase. Nice views up there.

Some of those pics posted by Mr. Bones were from my first ever trip! I remember them with fond memories. ;)

Back