Whittingham Hospital (Fourth Lancashire County Asylum)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one! Its been more than three years since I visited Whittingham and I don’t remember any of that, perhaps its time to go back...:exclaim:

Hi Mr. Bones,

Thanks for putting up some more pictures -not disappointed! :)
Particularly like the tiled floors & the floodlit outside shot -that must be one heck of a torch!!:cool:

Lb:cool:

P.s.- oh no, you've shown that "scary" staircase again -hope it hasn't frightened Foxy too much!!:lol: ;)

Re: Whittingham Hospital

pixie;13047; said:
pixielulus site is now upgraded onto here also http://pixies-graveyard.fotopic.net/

more up to date images from whittingham on there:)

Hey Pixie,

Nicely laid-out site with some interesting explores -thanks for the link!:)
Especially like the look of your Cherry Knowle pics -must get up there soon!!!

Oh since everybody's posting images I might as well do some too...:p

DSCF4526%20(Small).JPG

DSCF4540%20(Small).JPG

DSCF4585%20(Small).JPG

DSCF4677%20(Small).JPG

DSCF4771%20(Small).JPG

More can be found here

Lightbuoy;13086; said:
Hey Pixie,

Nicely laid-out site with some interesting explores -thanks for the link!:)
Especially like the look of your Cherry Knowle pics -must get up there soon!!!

thank you , Cherry knowle was amazing , but I have to say Whittingham is my first choice :) and being right on my doorstep too is a bonus:)

Lost those x-rays are long gone as im sure you know:) you have some really great pics of the hall :)

pixie;13141; said:
but I have to say Whittingham is my first choice :) and being right on my doorstep too is a bonus:)

Is Whittingham the one where only one side is left (being laid-out in a giant horseshoe)? The other side now re-developed -that must look pretty odd!!

The X-rays and such things where collected by the health authority that lefted them there in the first place, worries about either radiation{!} or more likely patient confidentialty.

Marked-man

Lightbuoy;13144; said:
Is Whittingham the one where only one side is left (being laid-out in a giant horseshoe)? The other side now re-developed -that must look pretty odd!!

Not Whittingham. The main building (St.Luke's) is a horseshoe but hasn't been redeveloped yet, although two annexes have gone.

I think you might be thinking of the multimap image of Bexley hospital perhaps (its since been totally demolished)?

Pete C;13149; said:
I think you might be thinking of the multimap image of Bexley hospital perhaps (its since been totally demolished)?

Ah yes, just looked at Bexley Hospital -that was the one I was thinking of. Sad to see that all that's left is a pile of rubble :cry:
Thanks Pete.

marked-man;13145; said:
The X-rays and such things where collected by the health authority that lefted them there in the first place, worries about either radiation{!} or more likely patient confidentialty.

Marked-man

It was patient confidentiality. A woman was looking for information regarding her father who was once a patient. She was told by the owners of www.whittinghamhospital.co.uk (I looked on the forum she asked on) that us explorers have found records in there. Next thing you know the xrays and financial records have gone.

Not only that but, all the records of what the patients had spent their £1 in the 1971 have also gone from the Lawns to be burned which had been scattered all over the floor. What ever was on the various records they can not be that important if the hospital left them when they pulled out. Most of them are of the dead anyway

Marked-man

marked-man;13379; said:
Not only that but, all the records of what the patients had spent their £1 in the 1971 have also gone from the Lawns to be burned which had been scattered all over the floor. What ever was on the various records they can not be that important if the hospital left them when they pulled out. Most of them are of the dead anyway

Marked-man

To be honest, it doesn't matter if they are dead patients or not. The Trust made a big song and dance saying that no records were left in there and that they were in SECURE Storage which, as we all know, was a load of bollocks as they were sat in Admin and the basement of Lawns. Only after that woman showed them the pictures explorers had taken of the records did they admit they had fucked up and quickly retrieved them. These records are patient records and I believe they have to be retained in secure storage for a certain number of years and then destroyed. In Whittingham recently I found a card that had the details (name, d.o.b., family, illness, etc.) of an ex patient who moved to the States. Even had the address of where they moved to. Should that information be allowed to fall into my possession?

I have spent days reading through old records a many hospitals including Whittingham, I enjoy reading ward reports, “Incident” logs and in some of the bigger asylums: the admission forms. Now I will openly admit that not just any one who can clime a fence should have access to these records, I find them fascinating and therefore enjoy a look through but I don’t pay attention to names, or share or publish the info, or use it for any sort of fraud etc. but I suppose the argument would be that if I wanted to I could, and that should obviously not be allowed.

If I found out that any one could go through my records I would be pretty pissed off to say the least!:(

I wished I'd read them sadly to late, if anyone does get the chance to read your own hopital file. The main problems are there in Medico Speak and the wrting is so poor its no wonder accidents happen. The typed out letters are the only things that can be read with ease. A letter was on Ebay from Whittingham to the family of a patient in about 1900 ( for those worried about such things, he is dead) and He so the ad' said was caught sheltering under a tree in the rain, so they whipped him into Whittingham and have now cured him of the weakness, happy days!

I can’t be bothered with all the “jargon”. I like stuff like this “patient has suffered from depression and schizophrenia since youth but continued to live with his mother until recently was found by police thieving "disorderly" fish from a public pond…” :lol:/ poor bugger:( :lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back