Willington Cooling Towers, Derbyshire, March 2016

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've visited a few times, and they are still mindblowing every time
Excellent work Hughie, you've got some good shots

Hope they don't demolish these soon

I had a wander around these on the way back from an Easter break with the Mrs. Great little site and easy peasy access (if she can get in, anyone can!). Well worth the detour if you are passing just to experience the echo when standing inside the towers if nothing else. Great report.

Great to see these towers in all their glory, i used to work as a recommissioning engineer for National Grid many moons ago, The wooden beams that supported the elements called film were manufactured from a hardwood timber from Cameroon, and the films looked like huge egg cartons , that were glued together using Cyano crylic (super glue)\into blocks about six feet long by two feet square, Stacked ten feet deep onto the hardwood frames laid across the existing concrete beams, Sorry for the rant
Thanks for the images

The letter us residents of Willington received was from 5 weeks ago if you look at the date.

I was taking a few snaps, saw some hi vis types and asked them what they were up to. They said they were doing a survey on weed killers that have been used on the site over the years and if I want any more information to go see the Calon contracts manager at the live sub station next door. He came to the gate and told me about the 1st September, showed me some draught plans that were drawn up since the letter went out to the locals. He was such a nice guy and to keep him onside I've gone with his request not to put any videos online of us chatting. He said the press releases will go out soon once they have done all the liason work with the local authorities for road closures etc.

I'll update here in due course in the meantime here's some very good history on the site The Willington Web Site - Power Station history

Back