Woodchester Mansion - One the Builders did not finish! (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonney,

Thanks for the picture of Whickham Hall, that is a beautiful piece of workmanship! I fully agree with your comments about what and who you know, especially when it comes to work on listed buildings or in conservation areas. According to my neighbour, the condition of the market's arse in this area is getting very shitty - so to speak!

Foreign imports of cheap Indian sandstone (which is crap) have a lot to do with the condition of the market place as well mate. They can import it cheaper than we could quarry it never mind cut and dress it and don't get me started on that "Art Stone" coloured concrete rubbish (Rant over) The way things are going all the masons will be out of work before long. Durham Cathedral ran an apprentiship scheme a few years ago to train wouldbe masons. They were going to take 8 people a year on and train them using the Cathedral restoration project, so they got hands on knowlege from some of the best in the masons country. The course lasted 4 years but only 4 people applied so I think they trained them and stopped the scheme. Glad you liked Whickam Hall, I'll have to have a look and see what other photo's I've got kicking about.

OMFG! Sorry - I just promised my future lottery win to another building but I think I am going to have to rescind that and put it forward for this one! Its beautiful!!!!

If I won the lottery, I'd do my very own 'which building shall we renovate post'. I reckon this one would be a serious contender!

OMFG! Sorry - I just promised my future lottery win to another building but I think I am going to have to rescind that and put it forward for this one! Its beautiful!!!!

If I won the lottery, I'd do my very own 'which building shall we renovate post'. I reckon this one would be a serious contender!

Well when you win and you need a stone mason give me a shout

I took part in an arranged shoot there, a friend brought along some people from her daughters amateur dramatic society.

Sorry if it`s considered cheeky to attach a few pics, but didn`t want to start up a whole new thread when one already existed..

I love the quirky history of the place.

3476262450_845372c7ba.jpg

3476721126_f814b8d561.jpg

3475453095_273ee87751.jpg

It was good fun seeing the reaction of the local walkers meeting these youngsters all dressed up ambling along the path lol.

Latest posts

Back