strange experiences in urban exploration?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished my second urban explore in an office site in Letchworth Garden City. Was totally freaked out when I found two dead cats sleeping on a busted up mattress. I think there were homeless people living there....

Common after WW1 and WW2 - some ex service personnel just could not cope being hemmed in by four walls as darkness fell. Sadly, even today you can still find suffering like this.

Is actually still reasonably common now amongst people with ptsd, it's part of the reason the are always rough sleepers no matter how many shelters and supported housing schemes there are.

I usually go to Boughton church at night to try light painting ideas out & strange things go on in the car park. Apart from the usual fast food & groping one time a BIG 4x4 parked behind me next to some other bloke in a car that was there when I arrived. Only this one left its headlights on full beam all the time I was putting my camera gear back in the car. Didn't know if it was the Police or what but the longer it went on the more pissed off I got. So as I drove past him (some heavily built, pock marked, farmer type) I turned my led headlight full on in his face from 5 foot away & watched him grimace as it temporarily blinded him. Something dodgy going on there 'cause he didn't come after me............
You were probably in a dogging car park!!

Just finished my second urban explore in an office site in Letchworth Garden City. Was totally freaked out when I found two dead cats sleeping on a busted up mattress. I think there were homeless people living there....

Letchworth is just around the corner from me, how do I not know about this? Lol

Talking of dogging, Got a phone call a few years ago from a friend saying he wanted to go and explore a disused rail tunnel in Derbyshire and did I fancy it. It was a Saturday afternoon and I thought what the hell. So he picked me up and off we went, arriving at a Car Park in the middle of nowhere we set off as the sun was setting down a winding path. Now my friend hadn't exactly planned this explore and we got hopelessly lost as it got darker, after an hour or so of following various footpaths we gave up and headed back to the car in the pitch black. As we approached the car park, we could see car headlights and quite a lot of activity around where we were parked, thinking it was kids having a bit of a car cruise, we made our way through the trees into the car park to reveal a very active and well attended dogging session.

Just remembered a good one, seeing as we're on the subject of deviants. Want a strange experience? Go to the Western Heights car park after 2300 near to or on a weekend...I've seen plenty of dodgy people lurking around there in the evenings. A couple of blokes I know were doing a night time explore up there, when they were surprised to find a couple sitting on a blanket at the edge of the car park. The couple greeted them and casually explained that they were there to perform in a dogging session and even invited the guys to participate...:mrgreen: It's safe to say they declined the offer and legged it back to their car!

Parts of the New Forest seem to be awash with doggers around dusk. It really is a no go area.... unless you want to participate of course!

On the way back from Denbigh taking a scenic route back through Wales we stopped around dusk in a large layby overlooking a beautiful view down into one of the valleys. There was one other car parked there and as we looked closer we realised that one of the figures was 'moving up and down over the seat', needless to say we left pretty sharpish....

They always pick the scenic spots, it's the same around here too. Selfish twunts.

Bumped into some photographer and his models when I first visited Bellboy's. Didn't expect that. You can see them briefly at about 2:54:

Second time I visited Prickly_buzz had a freak out in the basement and was clawing his way up the stairs saying "it feels like there's summin behind me!"..haha :D That place is so popular right now I swear it's possible to see anything or bump into anyone.

Last edited:
My very limited urbex experience is 30 years back, when a group of us got into old railway tunnels in particular. We entered the Privett tunnel on the old Meon Valley Railway, and walked to the far end, where we camped for the night, lit a fire, baked potatoes and onions, played guitar, got drunk and generally mucked about. In the morning, hungover, we walked back down the gently curving tunnel, expecting to see the light from the rectangular door opening where we'd come in, spilling down the walls, but it didn't come. We walked on and on, still no light when there surely should have been, getting a bit freaked, and then we saw an arched opening, barred like a dungeon, and glowing red! We had definitely somehow taken a wrong turn and ended up at the gate to hell! Our fuzzy heads eventually worked out there was a small barred window in the bricked up end of the tunnel, and our fire had logged the tunnel with smoke, colouring the outside light a dull red. A relief to get out into the sun again. Wikipedia says the tunnel has since been used for mushroom growing.

Years ago we were deep under Liverpool in the Wapping tunnel - an 2000m long old rail tunnel from Edge Hill on the west of the city to Wapping Docks on the Mersey. Despite having been closed and the track ripped up over 40 years ago we heard a train coming. It got louder & louder and deafeningly echoed round the tunnel until we saw distant lights flashing by deep in the darkness and then it started to recede. Very strange - turns out the underground Liverpool Central to Hunts Cross line tunnel passes over the Wapping tunnel on a girder bridge deep underground. That line is still in use so the Wapping Tunnel still echoes to the sound of trains!!

A few years back after visiting Oakhurst House, Ambergate I was heading home to do so I had to go via Derby . Iv always been interested in Oakhurst House history tired researching its past but only got bits and pieces. While sat waiting for the bus home I got talking to an old lady she looked late 80s to me. She ask what I been photographing after she noticed my camera I said Oakhurst House, she went quite then said her mother worked their and then went into her recollections of Oakhurst . I really wished I had a recorder with me the amount of detail was amazing. She told me her mother had a good selection of photos of the house. I don't really believe in fate as such but it seemed strange of all the people I could have sat next too I met this lady who recollections filled in the blanks about Oakhurst. The only other thing was when exploring a long closed Sheffield pub , the place was left as the day it closed glasses still on the tables ,ashtrays full of ciggie ends . The pub had been closed sixteen years but it was frozen in the day it closed.

I didn't really put these two events together until earlier today but when I was exploring the Old Rectory Care Home I was on the ground floor looking through into the hallway beside the stairs and clear as day saw a dark black mass move from left to right across the doorway floating about 3ft off the ground, and moments after that my fully charged Canon battery pack drained itself out of nowhere. I didn't make a big thing of it at the time as I didn't want to creep my companions out. People might dismiss things like this but I know what I saw...

I didn't really put these two events together until earlier today but when I was exploring the Old Rectory Care Home I was on the ground floor looking through into the hallway beside the stairs and clear as day saw a dark black mass move from left to right across the doorway floating about 3ft off the ground, and moments after that my fully charged Canon battery pack drained itself out of nowhere. I didn't make a big thing of it at the time as I didn't want to creep my companions out. People might dismiss things like this but I know what I saw...

Omg! I'm going back here soon aswell haha but after reading what you've said it's not going to be alone :laugh:

There's definitely lots of stuff about energy, types of energy, energy echoes, energy memory etc that we simply don't understand yet. From things like what you described mookster to the phenomenon of just feeling that a building is wrong somehow, which I think loads of us have felt before. How you chose to interpret it is entirely individual, some like to think of the supernatural which is a very specific and unsubstantiated interpretation, but personally I just put it down as natural but not yet understood. We're only humans, just a small part of a vast universe, and with limited senses and understanding. I think there must be so much out there we either can't or can only faintly comprehend.

I think with derelict places in general you cant not help but think of the people who once lived or worked in that building. What lives did they lead, what happened to them when they closed the door for the last time? I recently visited a hospital entered the operating theatre my mind soon turned to the thought of how many been here over the years ,how many died here? Such places can induce the idea of ghosts perhaps some need to believe in such things fair enough. But I'm to down to earth for that.

I'm not doubting you. As spirits carry a high charge of e.m.f. this is why your battery drained. You should carry a non DSLR and photographed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back