South Tottenham WW2 defences

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newage

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Its been some time since my last post, I`v been busy with another project, but this place is of interest.
It`s around South tottenham railway station, I`v been working in the area for the last few weeks and
have taken a few pictures of the defences in the area.

As you approach South Tottenham station from the west (Gospel oak) there are 2 sets of Anti tank blocks each side left and right of a
rail over bridge, there are also Anti tank blocks under the bridge parapits.

11007380474_f154271157_c.jpg

There are also AT block on the embankment on the over bridge.
Next as you pass through South Tottenham station still heading east along side the railway embankment is
a pillbox raised up on support legs, so the embrasures are in line with the railway access to the pillbox is
via an iron ladder.

11007162675_0bb323a546_c.jpg

After passing this the very next over bridge has another set of AT Blocks.

11007367584_cf2b9c2bee_c.jpg

There is another pillbox in the area to the south of the station but you can`t see this from the railway line.
Not a big report but it goes to show that this stuff is still around if you look hard enought.

Cheers Newage

The pill box that I didnt get to see is on the DoB data base, don't know about the other features as my overlay
Is somewhat out of date.

Newage

Last edited:
The pill box on raised surports is a good 20 to 30 feet off the ground, as you can see form the roof line of the buildings
behind it, access is about 99% impossible.

Cheers

The pillboxes are all on the edob but the ATB's aren't so I have added those with credit to you Newage. Apparently there is a Type 22 very close to that last set of blocks you posted. can you confirm that?

Extra type 22

Cpt

I'v only seen the pillbox on stilts it's just before the AT blocks, both on the left hand side.
The DoB data base shows a pillbox to the south west of South Tottenham railway station in open ground.

If and when I'm over that way again I'll have another look to see what's about

Cheers newage

at the risk of sounding very anoraky the blocks under the arches of the bridge look like they aren't cubes but have at least one sloping or stepped face - is that the case or just a visual effect caused by the shadows?

Cubes under BG

Hi There

well spotted, the "cubes" under the bridge both sides of the railway line do have a slop face, I`v called
them cubes as its sort of a generic term, dont know if they have a proper name.

Cheers Newage

Hi All

I`v put together this map with the locations of both pill bxes and the AT blocks.

11099145245_393aed0be7_b.jpg

Cheers Newage

"Not a big report but it goes to show that this stuff is still around if you look hard enought."
True Newage but we can't getto see the railblocks like you as they are on network rail property your ok you work for them or train company so get to see them. The pillbox is interesting, is that acessed from the railway side or is it possable to getto see it fom the estate if you asked. Not that I'm going to go trecking there to see it. Great set of photos.

Theres a nice example of a rail block at oakwood station, unfortunately its off the end of the platform too far to get any pics, they are undercover so lighting aint great when trying get a shot from the train either.

Hi There

well spotted, the "cubes" under the bridge both sides of the railway line do have a slop face, I`v called
them cubes as its sort of a generic term, dont know if they have a proper name.

Cheers Newage

cubes is fine and as most of the line made up of cubic cubes there is no confusion we'll all know what you mean :) - I tend to go for AT Blocks is the more generic term because that's identifies the intent of the barrier rather than the type because you get all sorts :) and mixed - I'm still looking for an Anti Tank Coffin in the wild mind you :)

I was just using cube as in regular hexahedron I wasn't suggesting you'd got the name wrong :D I'm a pedant but not that bad (I hope)

They were made by making moulds out of wood planks, I would imagine you get all shapes and sizes depending on the skill and care taken by the contractor making them. ;)

AT Blocks is what I've always called them too.

Outkast - be interested in what form the rail block at Oakwood station takes?

Latest posts

Back