Big House, Scotland, April 2012 (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stussy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
An 18th Century Georgian Country Mansion in the wilds of Scotland.

Not a lot is known about this mansion, it was originally a replacement for an ancient castle. It was used in WW2 as a house / school for evacuees.

It was once a holiday home, but now left abandoned with lots of children's toys and clothing left behind. Its quite spooky going around this place by yourself on a dreek drizzely day!

There is a lot of mould and fungus growing in most rooms, some of the floors are getting fairly rotten, my heart stopped upon hearing the floor giving way when I went near a window!

Massive thanks to Lost for the help on this one!

My best explore yet, could have spent hours going through the items, another trip is needed and hopefully better weather! Pics are not the best, but have to share!

Externals facades

Cool little barrel on a rotten seat

Many food stuffs left in the kitchen (my favourite sauce too)

Dining Room

Oval entrance

Entrance Bell

Lounge

Little white elephant :wcool:

Book for Snobs

Possible Family Photos

Most cupboards were full of items

One way of sealing the back door, cool comfy seat though :p

There were a lot of these old fire extinguishers going around!

Another entrance blocked up with yet more furniture:exclaim:

Main stairwell, lots of debris from falling plaster

Master Bedroom

Smaller Kids Bedroom

Another interesting room, with loads of books and a piano!

Peely door :mrgreen:

Comfy chairs, no chance going near it though, the floor is very rotten here!

Old School music player, didn't risk going near it though :cry:

This mould freaked me out a bit, it was just like cotton wool / insulation!!

The bathroom where my heart stopped!! :sick:

Onwards to the 2nd floor, the roof had caved in here through water ingress, pretty tricky going up here!

Second Floor Landing

The view down the stairs

Second Floor Bedrooms

Poor Teddy left behind :cry:

Another of the four bathrooms

Cool kinda green light

There are a few more photos on my Flickr if you want to see more.

The place is huge around 9 bedrooms and so much personal possessions left behind, such a shame its as the floors are rotting because a few windows are broken and the roof degrading. Also no scumbag thieves or copper grabbers have been in yet thankfully, hope it stays that way!! :icon_evil

What a find. I do wonder what the kid felt like when he lost his or her teddy would hate to lose mine even at my age.The green bottle is an old Coates cider bottle from the 60s-70s very common to convert them to lamps the base was normally filled with sand to keep 'em stable.It's certainly a long way from home.

What a find. I do wonder what the kid felt like when he lost his or her teddy would hate to lose mine even at my age.The green bottle is an old Coates cider bottle from the 60s-70s very common to convert them to lamps the base was normally filled with sand to keep 'em stable.It's certainly a long way from home.

Ah cool thanks for the info on the bottle! I kinda wondered what it came from :lol:
There are so many kids toys but the teddy, with its head hiding gave it the sense of being lonely and lost too, shame.

This looks like a amazing place. Bet hearing that floor about to break was pretty scary.

deathhormone said:
This looks like a amazing place. Bet hearing that floor about to break was pretty scary.

Aww it was so scary, afterwards I trod very carefully, that was my first ever experience of the floor crumbling under my feet, being there all alone didn't help :lol:

Fabulous stuff, Stussy. What an awful waste if the owner lets it rot; the ladders/paint suggest someone was biginning to do it up then came to a halt. :neutral:

Great photos amazing that it's been left in this way with the kids toys etc! Maybe this could be Sarah Beaney's next project!

Fantastic, wish I had possession of this wonderful BIG House!! and the money to do it up!!. Wonder how much the Piano is worth?

Best wishes Brian

Fantastic, wish I had possession of this wonderful BIG House!! and the money to do it up!!. Wonder how much the Piano is worth?

Best wishes Brian

I had that exact discussion on my facebake, some people reckon it could be in the thousands!

What a gem! Sites like this are so rare!
I love the contrasts, e.g. old fashion lounge with a TV, also seems like a couple of generations of condiments!
Thank you for sharing! :)

I had that exact discussion on my facebake, some people reckon it could be in the thousands!

This is an excellent set of photos. Such a shame that the building has been allowed to rot. :(

Schiedmayer of Stuttgart made their first pianos in the latter half of the 19th century, and went out of business in the 60's. They were bought out by another company (can't remember who), which promptly stopped making them. A shame, because they were well-made and have a distinctive sound.

A fully working Schiedmayer can fetch anything from £5,000 to £15,000. Quite a sum, but I've seen pianos on here, rotting in derelict buildings, that would have once been worth considerably more. The biggest problem with restoring a Schiedmayer is that several parts are completely nonstandard, rather than variations on an established design. This makes replacement parts hard to get, and expensive.

Hate seeing musical instruments going to ruin.

I also hate the thought of wonderfull musical instuments and furniture like this, going to decay. Should be a Law against it. I love Piano Music and as you say, I bet it had a wonderful sound in the right hands eg. Alfred Brendel playing - Subert, Liszt, Mozart or Beethoven. It would be a wonderful experience to hear that Piano restored, where it is. That great House resored too and music filling it once more.

Best wishes Brian

Last edited:
Nice place, and cool pics too. Looks like you had a very interesting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back