Big House, Scotland, April 2012 (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i love the oval room. Are the doors curved too? The chesterfields look in good nick - better than mine!

That’s a great find I love nosing around these places trouble is you never notice the time passing you think you’ve only been there for an hour and then look at your watch and realise its been three, with your find I’d probably still be there:lol: , I loved it, Many Thanks.

This is an excellent set of photos. Such a shame that the building has been allowed to rot. :(

Schiedmayer of Stuttgart made their first pianos in the latter half of the 19th century, and went out of business in the 60's. They were bought out by another company (can't remember who), which promptly stopped making them. A shame, because they were well-made and have a distinctive sound.

A fully working Schiedmayer can fetch anything from £5,000 to £15,000. Quite a sum, but I've seen pianos on here, rotting in derelict buildings, that would have once been worth considerably more. The biggest problem with restoring a Schiedmayer is that several parts are completely nonstandard, rather than variations on an established design. This makes replacement parts hard to get, and expensive.

Hate seeing musical instruments going to ruin.

You have summed up my feelings, my heart sank when I saw the maker name on the piano. Such a shame it is being left to rot. Great pics though.

Is this house situated anywhere near a loch or other stretch of water? Your 'Cool little barrel on a rotten seat' was originally an early Victorian mooring buoy or mooring line float. The only place I have actually seen any in the flesh was in the grounds of a largish house some miles outside Wick - they had been converted into swing seats by hanging them from a very large iron frame.

Those pics were lovely! Wish i could have seen them! New to the forums, was origionaly looking for run down/derelict places for wedding venue! Its so sad to see it like that! Sad thing is its my type of house, does anyone know anything about if someone is doing something with it?

It is such a shame! Should be filled with life, nurtured, children and dogs running around with muddy paws and dirty little fingers!

My next house has to be something like this where your blood and sweat goes into it... something with a heart!

Absolutly beautiful photos :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirus_Strictus said:
Is this house situated anywhere near a loch or other stretch of water? Your 'Cool little barrel on a rotten seat' was originally an early Victorian mooring buoy or mooring line float. The only place I have actually seen any in the flesh was in the grounds of a largish house some miles outside Wick - they had been converted into swing seats by hanging them from a very large iron frame.

Yes the house is fairly near a loch, si that kinda makes sense, u thought it was a wee novelty whiskey barrel or something haha

Shame, the exterior is not very pretty but the interior is fab, love the photos

As it has been abandoned all these yeas you would think it be overgrown also.

What a fantastic place! Such a shame its been left to rot, breaks my heart. Looks like you had a great explore and i would have also spent hours in there, maybe one day. great pics and thankyou for sharing:)

hi,
i took a run over to big house a couple of weeks ago. I didnt go up to the 3rd floor as i was unsure of its safety,i now am annoyed with myself for not venturing up lol but other than that it is in the same condition as u saw it. The setting is fantastic, returning there in the near future is a must for me. I only hope it doesnt get ransacked.
"The only thing i take from my visits r images" :) ........ just as it should be x:)

Now that is one fine explore!!!! Stunning place and some excellent pics. Cheers for sharing :)

Judging by the food pantry it hasn't been so long since people lived there. If you see a fine home standing vacant with furnishing inside (but looking picked-over), it's often a case of heirs battling each other. One refuses to sell, or hates the others so much that he obstructs any kind of estate settlement. I know a case where a man restored an 1850s plantation house. After he died, a brother who hated him inherited the place and deliberately let it rot. Hopefully the owners of this lovely house will get their ducks in a row. Looks salvageable, for now.

Judging by the food pantry it hasn't been so long since people lived there. If you see a fine home standing vacant with furnishing inside (but looking picked-over), it's often a case of heirs battling each other. One refuses to sell, or hates the others so much that he obstructs any kind of estate settlement. I know a case where a man restored an 1850s plantation house. After he died, a brother who hated him inherited the place and deliberately let it rot. Hopefully the owners of this lovely house will get their ducks in a row. Looks salvageable, for now.

If I remember correctly the HP sauce went out of date in 2007 and there was a phone bill dated 2005ish, on another post it was discovered this house was owned by the farmer who was trying to do it up. It is in pretty bad way lots of rot and fungus growing everywhere. The floors are becoming very unstable due to the window sashes breaking.

wow, amazing. I feel a road trip coming on. Good stuff boss

Cider Bottle

What a find. I do wonder what the kid felt like when he lost his or her teddy would hate to lose mine even at my age.The green bottle is an old Coates cider bottle from the 60s-70s very common to convert them to lamps the base was normally filled with sand to keep 'em stable.It's certainly a long way from home.

My Mom has some of those bottles, 'decorated' with mosaic tiles.
Big deal in the 60s I believe

I recognized the TV in the lounge, because we had the same model around five years ago. From a little research I believe the Sony KV 28LS35 was introduced in the second half of 2000. There were other variants of tube size, 32-inch for example - the model number i give is for the 28-inch. The TV was supplied with a matching unit, which is visible in the lounge picture. So this dates the abandonment of this property to anytime after 2001. If anyone wants to tie it down more accurately - the food in the cupboard would be a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back