Castleton ROC Post - Restoration Thread

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krypton

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
After finishing Chop Gate ROC Post, we thought the time has come to do another one :)

Castleton opened in April 1959 and closed in 1991. It is very trashed and was flooded.

The post in 2000
988099180_Pic2_castleton2.jpg

And now...

The post is trashed beyond belief. The hatch is ripped off and flooded.

Yesterday saw the start of the restoration.

The post was pumped out of the water. All the broken glass and rubbish was swept up and all the old paving slabs and concrete chunkes laying around in the compound were removed. The post is now dry and free of rubbish. We will be going up soon to re-weld the hatch back onto the frame and the counterweight and clean all the exterior concrete work.

Most of the water has gone by now!

A shot of mid-sweep up

Finally, hatch brought up from the shaft and put on top. Padlocked to keep people out although more security will be added in due course.

Being done here and not having a welder, we went over to Chop Gate and did some work there getting it ready for the summer.

More pics will be added here when we go back :)

Sweet one there, do you own the post or havyou just got permission to do so.

I dont own it, as it can't be sold, as no-one owns it. The legalities are very confusing on this one as it's on common land managed by Rt. Hon. Viscount Downe of Yorkshire (he owns basically all the moors). It is then sub managed by Danby Court Leet which is a feudal/medieval system of land management.

and, its still in better condition than mine :L, you dont have any of the keys for the doors inside do you, or will i need a new lock?

and, its still in better condition than mine :L, you dont have any of the keys for the doors inside do you, or will i need a new lock?

Personally, we dont often lock the doors downstairs in Chop Gate. We do have the original keys for all the doors but we thought that if someone broke through the hatch, they could easilly smash through a wooden door and cause even more damage. I lock the doors just before open days sometimes for peace of mind. Also if you leave all the doors open it gives for better air circulation.

Do you own the post? If so, you should have the keys for inside. They are all different but i think there were only 99 key patterns for the monitoring room and 99 for the toilet. If you have a look they might have numbers on them, i do have a lot of keys so i may possibly have one that works

i have permission to restore from the golf club, that it is on and will hopefully make a deal on the ownership soon.
And there were no keys and most the stuff down there was burnt or stolen

oh yea, how did you get power down there, at the moment we are working by torches and solar power

i have permission to restore from the golf club, that it is on and will hopefully make a deal on the ownership soon.
And there were no keys and most the stuff down there was burnt or stolen

oh yea, how did you get power down there, at the moment we are working by torches and solar power

If they own it then they will have the keys for it. My advice is not to buy it cos they are dead money, just draw up a contractual agreement and sign it.

We got power down there using a generator.

ah, im going to try to get a 12v caravan or car battery down there and run it like it was.

likewise, i am no good at electronics myself so need to find someone to do it for me.

Could you please keep all this random chat to PMs, there is absolutely no need for us all to be reading it.

Well we did a lot of work at the post today:

The post was painted externally and all the metalwork primed. The hatch which was detatched was welded back on, new hasps and hinges put on and the tbar freed up. All the broken slats on the fence were replaced and measurments taken for a gate.

Inside the pump was primed and put back on. Nothing else inside. Will be going up soon to re-do all the woodwork inside and start painting it.

Enjoy :)

Latest posts

Back