Chateau Singes Nov 14 (Now with history)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice little place this, I enjoyed my visit here and it was also my first non UK site. Great snaps mate as well.

I have heard on the grapevine that this place has been sold but if that is true or not I am unsure. A photographer who uses this place for a lot of model shoots mentioned the above to an explorer who then past the info on to myself. He may just be saying that to try and stop explorers interrupting his shoots.

Also I have read that the owner lost his money betting on horses and now resides in a care home.

Dugie

Great place for a first euro explore! And we saw no one else whilst we were here but yeah, ive heard of it being jammed packed of models and photographers before.

I actually found some history now, it doesn't mention betting but I saw upstairs the newspapers and they were of horse racing yes.

History:

The owner was a man named Ernest, I wont give his full name for obvious reasons. I lady was elected Town Mayor and of course she knew of the Château and her heart ached to see the moonglow of ancient limestone fade to grey as its life became increasingly precarious.
She visited Ernest, then 88 years old, to talk and to offer assistance. Three times she visited and each time was rebuffed by a redoubtable gentleman with pride as big as his house.

The Château continued to crumble. Ernest lived in dusty peace.

One terrible day a fire broke out, smoke seen from the village bought the pompiers, the firemen. Bristling with efficiency and professional knowledge the pompiers approached the Château.

Whereupon much to their surprise and horror a furious Ernest hurled abuse at them, threatened to shoot them all and generally failed to be at all grateful.

The pompiers were forced to retreat but fortunately quite a lot of Château remained.

Sadly despite an impressive determination to remain lord of his castle, not long ago Ernest was forced to leave for a retirement home. The mayor has been in touch with his daughter. A Parisian surgeon has fallen in love with the Château and is desperate to return it to its former glory. As yet Ernest’s daughter has shown no urgency to sell, hampered possibly by Ernest’s breaking heart or complex French inheritance laws.

A very sad story indeed, but I can see why he loves this place.

Very nice staircase indeed.

Definitely a Renault 11, I had a Renault 11 Turbo back in the good old days, same engine etc as the 5 Turbo.

Latest posts

Back