Drake Island, Plymouth! *pic heavy*

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this island. I used to work for the queens harbour master overlooking the island. Been out to it once but didn't have time for a look around :(

shocked you didnt run around in the underground tunnels! hidden gems in them tho i do believe since my last visit its now been more chaved... as i can see from the gate :/ tho when i managed to go over everything was open... i mean EVERYTHING :) non of the boards was on the window... spent a good 9 hours on there on my first mission :) if you go back gimme a blip id love the revisit :)

fantastic, I think I may need to start planning a road trip :)

shocked you didnt run around in the underground tunnels! hidden gems in them tho i do believe since my last visit its now been more chaved... as i can see from the gate :/ tho when i managed to go over everything was open... i mean EVERYTHING :) non of the boards was on the window... spent a good 9 hours on there on my first mission :) if you go back gimme a blip id love the revisit :)

Most, if not all of the underground tunnels are still accessible but the pic's taken aren't great! Bunker Bill posted a link earlier in the thread which has around 200 or so others taken from the day!

Furthermore the barracks and buildings which are boarded up are all still accesible because the locks have been broken on the doors - fireplaces are still intact, staircases good, floors in places abit rotten but ok. They've also replaced or fitted several new slate tiles on the roof - i can only assume they were broken or missing and they wanted to limit any further damage to the buildings! Would've been great to see it un-touched by builders.

Other than a bunker, the one thing we didn't explore was this steep and seemingly slippy incline by one of the casemates - we didn't have any rope if we did get stuck down there and didn't fancy chancing it! You didn't happen to go down, did you? Looking at a map and from being there, i think another level that lead another lookout or bunker and possibly very few underground tunnels?

IMAG0085.png

Last edited:
Wow, looks amazing!

Looks like that site has many a good visits in it! Just wonder what wonders it has for all!

Great to see that their is no graffitti!

i have been meaning to go there for ages, never managed to get a method of transport though

What a fantastic site!
Reminds me in many ways of Coalhouse Fort not too far from me, another Palmerston era fort.
I don't think I have seen RMLs on genuine mounts before, although I have seen many in Bermuda on replicas.
Great state of preservation with natural decay and a great report. I am very jealous!

Edit:
Looks like anyone fancying a visit to this great island will have to get a move-on.
The owner, Dan MaCaulay, is trying to develop it as a luxury hotel according to local Plymouth newspapers I found on Google and work could start this year or early next year.
I don't know how this would work with the listed status of the fortifications, which I believe form the bulk of the proposed accommodation.
I hope this does not go ahead, shame to lose such a well perserved site.
Can anyone local to Plymouth advise the latest news?

Last edited:
I stayed on the island when i was still at school many moons ago back in the early 1980's great weeks holiday
pics bring back great memories one of staff from the adventure centre would throw a tennis ball down one of the large gun barrels & his dog would go in and get it and comeback out backwards ! :lol: canoeing round the island was fun too happy days:)....

thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back