Elvet Baths - September 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapmand

Reaction score
In the 1920's, the first building was described as old-fashioned and inconvenient by Durham City Council. They later took full advantage of a government aid to construct a new building to provide the city of public swimming pools, slipper baths and wash houses. It was this building that is thought to be believed that started off school swimming lessons.

John Wilfred Green designed and engineered the build of the new building that was officially opened in 1932 at a cost of around £31,500. Separate entrances were provided for men and women, with a ticket office between. The entrances led to separate waiting halls, where doors opened onto the first and second class Slipper bath corridors and Bath Halls.

Today, the site has been heavily vandalised and very little remains of the old wash rooms,showers and toilets that were used everyday by the general public. The building has 3 floors within its walls, the first being the pumps and filters below the pools, will tunnels running the length of the pools carrying the pipe work for filters and drainage. The ground floor holds a number of rooms, 2 of which holding the pools, other rooms are found nearby by. These housed the showers,changing rooms,toilets and reception area again these have been heavily vandalised with graffiti. In certain areas the cieilings have collapsed through. Finally the 3rd floor holds the offices of the workers that onced worked there and the balcony running along both sides of the main large pool.

Anyway, enough of the essay and time for some pics.

DSCF2100.png

DSCF2021.png

DSCF2011.png

DSCF2008.png

DSCF2018.png

DSCF2023.png

DSCF2005.png

DSCF2022.png

DSCF2026.png

DSCF2031.png

DSCF2042.png

DSCF2006-1.png

DSCF2136.png

DSCF2056.png

DSCF2070.png

DSCF2139.png

DSCF2147.png

DSCF2145.png

DSCF2135-1.png

DSCF2060.png

DSCF2061.png

DSCF2148.png

DSCF2116.png

DSCF2103.png

hope you guys enjoy!!

nice, shame about the graffiti in this place... i love graffiti but its ruined the place

as much as i like my manors and churches, places like this I find appealing, with or without graffiti, its still very attractive in its own decayed form.
The graffiti of course makes it look worse or better sometimes, but still very nice report :)

thanks for sharing and keep them coming

cheers guys, i did visit this site twice in two days after failing to get access into another site close by. On the 2nd visit, i did bump into some other explorers that were there for the first time and remember using the baths as youngsters. Not sure who was more shocked me or them when we first spotted each other haha.

all the comments are much apprieciated guys. For someone thats kinda new to all this compared to others i do try. Would be good to meet up with others local for an explore sometime

Is a shame it's I that state, but there are some lovely features shining through, the barrel vault ceiling, the 'No Boots' sign! Love it! :)

Is a shame it's I that state, but there are some lovely features shining through, the barrel vault ceiling, the 'No Boots' sign! Love it! :)

its the little features like this that makes the place worth another visit

As already said, it's such a shame to see it in such a state :( Great pics though, cheers for posting them up!

Very interesting to see all the pipework, a shame to see something like this in such a state although there are a couple of pieces of graffiti there that I can actually appreciate such as the Blaze in the 2nd photo and DNE in the 3rd.

There's some beautiful natural decay here, it's just a shame about all the meaningless graffiti left by total morons...

These people are largely responsible for my misanthropy, because of their need to destruct rather than construct.

Although the site is already in a sorry state, thank you for documenting it before it gets any worse!

Latest posts

Back