General Urbex Photos Thread! - 2

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Secret Cottage:
52319463033_ce5803d143_b.jpg

that ought to be preserved in a living history museum somewhere
Jacquard's system dates from 1804, presumably after the invention of barrel organs which may have given him the idea for the punched cards. Fairground organs - with their punched cards - also date from the the early 1800s. The Hollerith computer card system is still often seen in old films. The Jacquard cards seen here certainly should be preserved.

Jacquard's system dates from 1804, presumably after the invention of barrel organs which may have given him the idea for the punched cards. Fairground organs - with their punched cards - also date from the the early 1800s. The Hollerith computer card system is still often seen in old films. The Jacquard cards seen here certainly should be preserved.
indeed, it's something which interests me, as well as Ada Lovelace's later efforts in programming, having learned COBOL in my youth, which I confess I hated, I prefer the applications to fine fabrics and jaunty music. The odd sample books which turn up are treated as treasures, how much more so are all these rolls of patterns! Cogito, where is it? I might have some contacts who could do something to save them.

Absolutely amazing, where were the 3 phase mercury arc rectifiers? The last time I saw some of those was in a steel works (where Meadowhell shopping centre is now) and they provided DC power to an old overhead crane.

Final shot is a cracker, very atmospheric.
Could have been out of Quatermass. Curious telephone dial, quite separate from the instrument itself.
Why thank you Wolfie. I quite like how that one came out. The fog combined with the numerous high power sodiums made for quite the scene. It also played to the advantage as it made hiding from the secher man a little bit easier..

Hayman, that was a shot from Falkirk Council HQ's former cold war 'bunker', although technically not a proper bunker as it was above ground. That typical post-war/cold war windowless command centre; long link corridor, ops rooms, map rooms, telecoms, etc. Had an air of "mouldy rotor bunker" about it.

It was built in 1950 to replace an older bunker but had been sat largely forgotten about until being demolished earlier this year. The telephone dial was one of several in a row of single booths in the telecoms room.

Last edited:
Absolutely amazing, where were the 3 phase mercury arc rectifiers? The last time I saw some of those was in a steel works (where Meadowhell shopping centre is now) and they provided DC power to an old overhead crane.
Spotted them in a cabinet on a small industrial site that was demolished a couple years ago. Only ones I've ever seen in situe in a derelict so pretty special. Intact as well, mercury still sat in the bottom of both.

Why thank you Wolfie. I quite like how that one came out. The fog combined with the numerous high power sodiums made for quite the scene. It also played to the advantage as it made hiding from the secher man a little bit easier..

Hayman, that was a shot from Falkirk Council HQ's former cold war 'bunker', although technically not a proper bunker as it was above ground. That typical post-war/cold war windowless command centre; long link corridor, ops rooms, map rooms, telecoms, etc. Had an air of "mouldy rotor bunker" about it.

It was built in 1950 to replace an older bunker but had been sat largely forgotten about until being demolished earlier this year. The telephone dial was one of several in a row of single booths in the telecoms room.
Many thanks for the explanations.

Back