Graves of the famous or quirky tales

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grave of Vlad Tepes (tepesh) aka Vlad the Impaler.
Vlad was ultimately killed and decapitated by unfaithful boyars; his perfumed head sent to the Ottoman Sultan as a gift, and as appeasement. The official burial place of Vlad is the Snagov Monastery, on Lake Snagov, near Bucharest. Allegedly his body was later moved to a secret location so as to stop his enemies from retrieving it. An excavation performed in 1931 reportedly found an empty grave, while some accounts tell of the exhumation of a richly dressed decapitated body.

transylvaniaunedited323.jpg

transylvaniaunedited326.jpg

this isnt of anyone famous but the saying 'sweet fa' always springs to mind everytime i passed it. its in the grounds of our local church which is believed to be one of the oldest in the area where i live. have pics if anyones interested.

always brought a smile to my face.

n581751102_2040983_4566.jpg

The modest grave that marks the final resting place of Charles Henry Howell, and his wife Katherine. Not hugely famous but a name that a lot of you will recognise.

DSC_0058Medium.jpg

DSC_0070Medium-1.jpg

A Derbyshire "Sharpe"

goodfriday09005.jpg

St Michael`s churchyard, Kirk Langley, Derbyshire. Memorial to Joseph Kirkland of the Coldstream Guards, a Peninsular war veteran, died 1853 aged 80. He had earned seven campaign clasps : the Nile, Vittoria, Salamanca, Talavera, Cuidad-Roderiga, Egypt and Fuentas D`onor. The stone also bears the inscription "Soldier Rest The War Is Done"

nice thread :)

I'm not sure who we got down here but i'll take look and see who i can find.

if you go to the cemetery in sheepstor village, thats where sir francis drake is buried,who died on the 13th march 1631, havent checked but that would be really bad luck if it was a friday!

Another one from the Novodevichy Cemetery in Moscow (which is a who's who of famous dead Russians)

2817241492_d64246980a.jpg

Boris Yeltsin.

Went to see Rob Roys grave in a wee village call Balquhidder up near Lochearnhead. Hopefully everyones heard of him. He was burried in 1734 and his wife and 2 sons are burried beside him

DSC01934.jpg

damn beaten to it mind you being part of the clan Mac Gregor

I hope people have of heard of great great great great great great Uncle Rob lol

I recently found the grave of George Hudson, 'The Railway King', who helped shape the face of many railways during the 'railway mania' period. He got himself into a spot of bother with money irregularities and dies a pauper, he is buried at Scrayingham, North Yorks, just down the road. I will pop over again and get a shot. Good idea for a thread this.

I have some from Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin which is absolutely enormous and contains many graves of famous Irish national figures....

Under this tower is the tomb of Daniel O'Connell

The most famous memorial, in a prominent place...

My famous relation: Mr James Byford McCudden, a great Uncle of mine. Some of you may of heard of him, but most probably havent.

Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McCudden

james.jpg

james1.jpg

Oh yes, respect due to this ww1 fighter pilot ace scoring a total of 57 victories born 28 march1895, killed in a flying accident in Marquise France 9th July 1918. I understand he flew a Royal aircraft factory Scout SE5A, this plane was built about a mile or so away from my home.
I also had a fighter pilot ace in my family, William (Cherry) Vale, he was a ww2 pilot though and flew Glouster Gladiators, hurricanes and Spits'.

Last edited:
Not got any stories but there are some famous people around the area.

4167555764_c2ff85e132_o.jpg

Of three men in a boat fame.

3463285317_74855481e9_b.jpg

This one you should all know.
:)

Last edited:
Oh yes, respect due to this ww1 fighter pilot ace scoring a total of 57 victories born 28 march 1926, killed in a flying accident in Marquise France 9th July 1918. I understand he flew a Royal aircraft factory Scout SE5A, this plane was built about a mile or so away from my home.
I also had a fighter pilot ace in my family, William (Cherry) Vale, he was a ww2 pilot though and flew Glouster Gladiators and Spits'.

Yes he was the best of the best in many peoples eyes, and was an ace with a great scoring record, being the most highly decorated British Empire pilot of the First World War and one of the longest serving. He was actually born 28 March 1895(not 1926), and its just so ironic that he died during take off and not during any fighting. He will be a hero forever.:)

I have heard of William Vale and have read a few books that have James McCudden and William Vale in also.
Thanks for your comments.;)

Yes he was the best of the best in many peoples eyes, and was an ace with a great scoring record, being the most highly decorated British Empire pilot of the First World War and one of the longest serving. He was actually born 28 March 1895(not 1926), and its just so ironic that he died during take off and not during any fighting. He will be a hero forever.:)

I have heard of William Vale and have read a few books that have James McCudden and William Vale in also.
Thanks for your comments.;)

Sorry, typo mistake ref' dates on my behalf, (fat fingers!! have edited the post) Thanks for the reply, It is an SE5A he is pictured in is it not?
There's a book out soon from amazon entitled 'Gladiator ace Bill Cherry Vale, the rafs forgotten fighter ace' by Brian Cull. Not trying to promote it or so on but it may be of interest to you, not a lot is written of him it seems for so much he contributed for our country, as did your relation.
Respect to all the fallen.;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back