Graves of the famous or quirky tales

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More of a famous graveyard this one, rather than a famous grave....

StronnaLarig190410054.jpg

And this inscription there struck me, kinda drawing parallels to 'do what thou wilt'..

StronnaLarig190410061.jpg

Zimbob excuse my ignorance but what makes it Famous. :)

Sorry, typo mistake ref' dates on my behalf, (fat fingers!! have edited the post) Thanks for the reply, It is an SE5A he is pictured in is it not?
There's a book out soon from amazon entitled 'Gladiator ace Bill Cherry Vale, the rafs forgotten fighter ace' by Brian Cull. Not trying to promote it or so on but it may be of interest to you, not a lot is written of him it seems for so much he contributed for our country, as did your relation.
Respect to all the fallen.;)

Respect indeed.
http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation history/WW2/aces/William Vale.htm
http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/commonwealth_vale.htm
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Vale[/ame]

the doors of perception!

The place all Doors fans visiting Paris make for in Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, interesting cemetery to wander round, lots of ornate memorials and famous people.

IMGP0450.jpg

Last edited:
The place all Doors fans visiting Paris make for in Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, interesting cemetery to wander round, lots of ornate memorials and famous people.

IMGP0450.jpg

Nice pic, looks tidier than when i went in 05

I assume he still has his security guard ?

G

I just checked the date of the photo and it was 2004 we were there, no security guard, just some young long haired youths smoking dope, so must have been vandalised between our visits.

Leopold

Found this grave in Sheffield General Cemetery. Leopolds' family didn't want him to succomb to cholera as his brother had, so he was despatched to Sheffield for the good of his health. Unfortunately Leopold was a typical teenager, whom when riddled with drink claimed that he could ride any horse, a local squire was happy to oblige with a feisty beast. Leopold was not wearing a helmet and as the horse bolted he gave it a dig with his spurs, at this the horse threw him and poor Leopold landed on his head and died a few days later. But at least cholera didn't get him, although it did arrive in sheffield within months of his death! ;)

DSCF8394.jpg

A topical resting place...

In keeping with what's big in the news at the moment, the final resting place of Britains 1st Labour Prime Minister (yeah, he was a Jock too!):
4554500318_eb37d977d1_o.jpg

Wiki entry --> [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsay_MacDonald[/ame]

Last edited:
Père Lachaise Cemetery

A few from me :

I want to be buried here !

Pere.jpg

Colette

DSC00133.jpg

A Fred Chopin

DSC00131.jpg

"Chopin's grave at Paris' Père Lachaise Cemetery. Monument, by Clésinger, features Euterpe, muse of Music" from Wikipedia

Jim

DSC00129.jpg

And the ultimate :

Whoever he was , he liked Pink Floyd and Pavarotti

DSC00132.jpg

G

Last edited:
George Hudson - 'The Railway King'

Buried in a pretty but small churchyard at Scrayingham, North Yorkshire, lies George Hudson, the founder of many railways during the early years of 'railway mania'. He was quite a remarkable man, which makes it all the more remarkable that his grave is quite unassuming. Hudson, having been left money upon the death of a relative invested it wisely into the up and coming invention which was the railway. A chance meeting with George Stephenson in Whitby made him realise that the opportunities to be had for joining railways together (which at the time was unthought of) made him the genuis to which we have our joined up network to thank for. He was the lord mayor of York, and also became a tory member of parliament for Sunderland, however it was revealed that whilst he was a brilliant buisnessman and clearly influential, he was also caught having bribed MPs and also partook in other fraudulent acts, he died in December 1871, and was buried in his family plot.

George Husdons grave:

DSC_0075-5.jpg

Family plot in the church of St Peter & St Paul, Scrayingham, (bottom right corner of the church)

DSC_0085-3.jpg

T E Lawrence

The grave of T E Lawrence , as in 'Lawrence of Arabia'

TELawrence.jpg

N.

Being my birthday today and feeling somewhat mortal I decided to visit a couple of graves{my other name is Mr Cheerful}.A visit to Mells churchyard revealed the grave of Siegfried Sassoon the WW1 poet who was definitely anti war.Also buried in Mells is Lady Violet Bonham Carter,liberal politician and grandma to Helena Bonham Carter,unfortunately the heavens opened before I could find it.

Also found this which I assume is a locked well.

GOOD MORNING;good morning!the general said
When we met him last week on the way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead,
And we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
He's a cheery old card grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.
But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

Driving on to Holcome old Church

Behind the building is the family grave of Robert Falcon Scott- Scott of the Antarctic-
He is not buried here but most of the family is

Happy birthday, Oldscrote!
Love the old church...gorgeous Norman door arch. Cheers for the Siegried Sassoon poem. Those war poets wrote some very raw stuff.
Hope you had a great day and tonight...party!!! :mrgreen:

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill is buried in a village who's name i forget but it's near woodstock

also, down the road not far from here the prime minister who declared war on ze germans (WW1) in buried,
i havent got a picture and i cant remember his name... so there!
i know it's true though as we installed a cctv system in the church and the priest told us he was and i believe him, because if you cant trust a priest... who can you trust?? :lol:

Last edited:
Tom Sayers (15 or 25 May[1] 1826 – 8 November 1865) was an English bare-knuckle prize fighter. There were no formal weight divisions at the time, and although Sayers was only five feet eight inches tall and never weighed much more than 150 pounds, he frequently fought much bigger men. In a career which lasted from 1849 until 1860, he lost only one of sixteen bouts.

Taken on a Tour of Highgate cemetery

Grave2 by koffinkoach, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back